Looking for a work pc build

Garric

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,
I work as a developer and need a system that can handle the following: multiple browser/apps running, including photoshop. Never really slow down. Running multiple vmware images.

It needs to be small so I can carry it from office to office. Though doesn't need
Hopefully it can use a thunderbolt slot and support multiple monitors.
Would like it to use a SSD.. midsize, over 100gb but below 200.
I don't have any of the parts yet, except for usb keyboard/monitor.
I have a USB dvd drive so there's no need for one in this, to save room.
Built in Wifi.
Preferably a 4 core intel i7 processor, 8GB ram as well.
No need for a video card I don't think, I don't want to be distracted playing games.
Will run windows 7 or hackintosh.

Basically, to sum it up, I want it small & quick.

Thanks guys.

Well, a laptop certianly fits the bill, but probably not something you might build.
I use a laptop for what seems similar purposes, I couldn't imagine a better alternative.

I use a docking station with a monitor and keyboard at work, and I use the laptop with a portable mouse on the road.

Please explain why a laptop might not apply.

You're right, but the parts I want for a laptop are super expensive. Especially a decent SSD which effectively doubles some laptop configurations.

You're right, but the parts I want for a laptop are super expensive. Especially a decent SSD which effectively doubles some laptop configurations.

Add it yourself, on most good laptops it's just a latch or screw no the bottom.

Yeah a laptop SSD is no different (or cheaper) than one you buy yourself, as all SSDs come in the 2.5" form factor. And most laptops (any competent one you'd buy, at least) you can easily install your own SSD so you can buy from a 3rd party (although they don't really get that much cheaper going 3rd party TBH).

But back to your original question, is it useful to be able to easily transport it when you also need to bring the keyboard+monitors along, or do you have some kind of setup where you can leave monitor(s) and KB+mouse at each location, and just plug in your computer wherever you are? Because otherwise I don't really see the advantage.

One suggestion might also be to look at the mac mini? It is most likely going to be even smaller and more portable than the vast majority of SFF PCs (I'd also say more stylish too but this is somewhat of a personal preference), has the better OSX experience (no need to hackintosh with whatever limitations/issues that may entail), and can dual boot for Win7. Oh and Apple computers are the only way you're going to get thunderbolt right now. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I built a rig this summer with a similar purpose in mind. I was taking my rig to a hotel during the week and home on the weekends so I wanted it to be as small as possible.

Silverstone SG-07 (best Mini-ITX IMHO)
Gigabyte H67 ITX Mobo
i7 2600K (was planning on getting Zotac Z68 eventually)
8GB Corsair RAM
Stock cooling
Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD
Old GTX260 Video Card
Slim Blu-Ray Drive
Spare 3.5" HDD

I also use a GearGrip Case Strap to carry the case around.

Back