Looking for a widescreen xbox360 monitor

cunnelatio

n00b
I've been looking for a decent LCD for use with an xbox360. I've read countless spec sheets and I am still having trouble deciding.

I don't want an HDTV because I don't really watch tv, I just download individual episodes sometimes. I'm going to be using it as PC monitor as well.

What I've considered:

2005fpw: I have owned one before and it's a great monitor. I'm not sure how an xbox360 would look on this monitor, though.

The new gateway 21": This monitor looks great on paper and has everything I want but the visual anomalies people are reporting make me nervous.

Samsung 940MW: I don't know anything about this monitor and I can't find any reviews but it looks great on the spec sheet.

Acer AL2032WA: Looks like a 2005fpw clone but I don't know how well it compares.

HP L2335: I haven't read enough reviews of this monitor. Looks great on paper, expensive, but can be had on ebay for around $600-800.

I'm not really considering the 2405fpw at all due to the reports of lag (which is also why I am not considering the samsung LN series).

What do you guys think?

does it have to be an lcd? Have you considered a widescreen CRT like the Sony GDM-FW900? It's huge, but if all you're going to do with it is play 360, it's going to give you better image quality than an LCD. And for a lot less money too! search ebay for "fw900"

sarbz said:
does it have to be an lcd? Have you considered a widescreen CRT like the Sony GDM-FW900? It's huge, but if all you're going to do with it is play 360, it's going to give you better image quality than an LCD. And for a lot less money too! search ebay for "fw900"

I've already got a 65 lb CRT on my desk for PC gaming. It will collapse if I stick a FW900 on there too.

I may be moving it around a bit too.

Well, something to keep in mind is that if you're planning on using VGA input, the 360 doesn't support the native resolutions of any of those monitors.

If you're planning on using component input, then obviously you'll need to get a monitor with component input.

Even then, I'm not sure if it's been determined yet whether or not monitors like the 2405 actually support 1080i via component input. People are still testing it with the 360.

WRT to lag on the 2405, I don't know what those people are talking about. I suppose it depends how sensitive you are to it, but I play tons of games on mine and I never notice any lag, it's a brilliant monitor.

asmielia said:
Well, something to keep in mind is that if you're planning on using VGA input, the 360 doesn't support the native resolutions of any of those monitors.

If you're planning on using component input, then obviously you'll need to get a monitor with component input.

Even then, I'm not sure if it's been determined yet whether or not monitors like the 2405 actually support 1080i via component input. People are still testing it with the 360.

WRT to lag on the 2405, I don't know what those people are talking about. I suppose it depends how sensitive you are to it, but I play tons of games on mine and I never notice any lag, it's a brilliant monitor.

I wouldn't mind using aspect scaling for 1280x720 mode. I just don't want to drop 2 grand for some TV I will never watch TV on, that's my only concern.

Apparently there is a new version of the 2405 that supports HDCP so I may have to take a look at that I guess

Why not get one of the Syntax 27" lcd tvs? I have seen them for $700. They also use 1280x720 as their native resolution and it has a lot of inputs to choose from

Back