Looking for a web designer

Jayllo

Weaksauce
Hey all,

I’m looking for a site to find a web designer/developer.

Anyone know of any or anyone?
Or can someone recommend someone?

Ideally I’d like someone for long term development.

My last web designer didn’t work too well with me.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me by email if interested.
Thanks,

Why do both the sites posted have designs that look like templates ripped from TemplateMonster? Why are angular tables/table-esque designs with gradient backgrounds the "hip" thing do now? I'm a web designer, but if you're looking for the kinds of designs either of the two sites above offer, I'm not who you're looking for.

CEpeep said:
Why do both the sites posted have designs that look like templates ripped from TemplateMonster? Why are angular tables/table-esque designs with gradient backgrounds the "hip" thing do now? I'm a web designer, but if you're looking for the kinds of designs either of the two sites above offer, I'm not who you're looking for.

Like most industries, web design goes through trends and fads. last year it was rounded corners and patterned backgrounds, year before that it was drop shadows, before that it was making links look like ::this:: , etc.. etc... when rounded corners were everywhere, the angular design looked fresh and cutting edge, now everybody is going angular. it'll run it's course like everything else.

maw said:
Like most industries, web design goes through trends and fads. last year it was rounded corners and patterned backgrounds, year before that it was drop shadows, before that it was making links look like ::this:: , etc.. etc... when rounded corners were everywhere, the angular design looked fresh and cutting edge, now everybody is going angular. it'll run it's course like everything else.
What I want to know is when flash will stop being used on pages..just because.

That'll be a day to truly celebrate.

Hmm? Oh, sorry, right. My bad. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. </rant>

XOR != OR said:

I agree, having the same flash intro and music on a single page is bad enough. When it reloads every page you visit, most visitors are gone on page two.

XOR != OR said:

Hmm? Oh, sorry, right. My bad. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. </rant>

The sad thing is, every single web design job I look at in the paper or on the web, they say "Knowledge of Flash required". Companies seem to put pizazz over functionality.

cuemasterfl said:
The sad thing is, every single web design job I look at in the paper or on the web, they say "Knowledge of Flash required". Companies seem to put pizazz over functionality.

you have to look at Flash from a company's perspective. They think of it as the web version of the 30-second TV ad, i.e. a way to grab the attention and get their identity out there to millions of viewers.

Marketing people see Flash and it reminds them of TV ads. CEO's don't listen to web experts, they listen to their marketing people. If marketing says a whiz-bang Flash animation will attract customers, then whiz-bang flash animation it is.

Yeah, I hear ya. My current boss is of the retarded 'punch the monkey' type of grabbing your attention. :rolleyes:

animeguru said:
Yeah, I hear ya. My current boss is of the retarded 'punch the monkey' type of grabbing your attention. :rolleyes:

i feel so lucky, my boss is a big on web standards and CSS and absolutely insists on those guidelines for our websites.
He does like Flash, but only when used for games or interactive learning. During the holiday season, he lets us cut loose and design some funny Flash cartoons or games for our Intranet site. To me, that's using Flash for what it was intended.

CEpeep said:
I agree, the first one sells templates and the site itself looks like it came from template monster.

but my site? i dont think it looks like a template. designing "hip" is a good thing i thought? sure trends change but thats what redesigning is for.

jizzypop said:
I agree, the first one sells templates and the site itself looks like it came from template monster.

but my site? i dont think it looks like a template. designing "hip" is a good thing i thought? sure trends change but thats what redesigning is for.
Designing functional is a good thing. "Hip" implies chasing the latest fashion.

The best webpages draw your eyes to where the data you want is and is intuitive to navigate.

XOR != OR said:
Designing functional is a good thing. "Hip" implies chasing the latest fashion.

The best webpages draw your eyes to where the data you want is and is intuitive to navigate.

what's true of the best designed sites isn't necessary true when it comes to selling templates.

People are drawn to visual styles long before they focus on navigation elements. If you're in the business to sell templates, you're going to aim for visually appealing first. This probably also explains why stock templates tend to follow the latest fashions, many of their customers don't want "last years" templates.

Sometimes the best sites are the simplest sites. You don't always have to be the prettiest site around, just one with easy navigation and easy-to-find links.

i'm in the process of redesigning my organizations site now, and its really hard to find a compromise between professional/attractive/functional. see, the site isn't just for people who already know about us...its also for people who find us through something else and we need the site to catch their eye and draw them in. its especially difficult because i'm a coder, not a designer, and have no artistic ability whatsoever :) any good graphics people want to donate their time? we're a 501(c)3, it would be tax deductible :D

XOR != OR said:

The day that the words "skip intro" no longer appear on any website will be the greatest day in the history of the world wide web.

Seriously...who ever thought it would be a good idea to insert a useless introduction on a web page? It's not to advertise your products...that's what the site is for. It's not to attract readers...that's what the site is for. It serves no function except to chew up bandwidth and drive away viewers. Yet I still see them on a regular basis.

maw said:
you have to look at Flash from a company's perspective. They think of it as the web version of the 30-second TV ad, i.e. a way to grab the attention and get their identity out there to millions of viewers.

Marketing people see Flash and it reminds them of TV ads. CEO's don't listen to web experts, they listen to their marketing people. If marketing says a whiz-bang Flash animation will attract customers, then whiz-bang flash animation it is.

Limited use of flash in banner ads is about the only place I see it as being remotely useful. I'm not an experienced developer by any account, so I can't comment on whether there are viable alternatives that allow the same presentations, but flash is good for small, self-contained advertisements like banners. What it sucks for is entire site design.

animeguru said:

I always thought those ads to be the eiptome of the absurdities brought on by desperation on the part of advertisers.

Every once in a while I punch the monkey/president/terrorist for the fun of it. No, punching them isn't fun, watching the inevitable popup get eaten by the software I'm testing for a friend is the fun part :)

Back