Looking for a web based file sharing solution that can be hosted internally

mbrownnyc

Weaksauce
Hello,

I'm looking for a web based file sharing solution that will enable us to use internal hosting.

My users are occasionally sending out very large files via Email, and I'd like to implement a system that will allow them to upload a file to a server that will then create a "file drop" that is accessible via a web interface.

Some of the features I'd like would be, automatically generated access key (as in password), download expiration, etc.

Any assistance or reference is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

if you find one that actual works please post a link here.
I have tried several open source and pay versions and all of them stink.

if you find one that actual works please post a link here.
I have tried several open source and pay versions and all of them stink.

Please share the open source ones. I'm not interested in pay.

I don't mind deving a bit, and if it makes sense, I'll merge with the project.

Thanks!

Matt

Have you tried box.net?

Not really free for businesses, but simple enough for just about anyone to use.

not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Clarkconnect might be what you need. It has various protocols that can be used to access files on the server including http, ftp, and a couple others I think.

The fundamental problem is that most solutions rely on PHP to make the upload work, and upload limits as set in the PHP config apply. While those limits can be raised, the transfer (especially the upload) is unreliable at best.

I would suggest to look into webDAV to make this work. Pretty much any OS will have a webDAV implementation is some way or another that will essentially allow you to share out folders without using a web interface.

However, in my personal experience with webDAV on Windows Server 2008 I found that it too has its share of problems especially with uploads. They are more reliable than their PHP counterparts, but webDAV too wasn't meant for really large files.

how about an FTP server and a static webpage that tells people how to use an FTP client? LOL

I was going to suggest just having a file server with shared drives, and then set permissions on folders via NTFS. This seems to integrate well with Ipswitch 7.0 FTP.

pacmantravis (box.net), vischo (drop.io) + PanzerBoxb (internally hosted): The idea of box.net (or divshare, or rapidshare, or blah blah) is exactly what I'm looking for; except having it hosted internally (with access from the Internet) and offered with the stipulation of user access control, expiration times, and complex password protection.

Ryan711 (ClarkConnect): This looks interesting, but a little too robust, and doesn't provide a clear web front end to file transfers.

cyr0n_k0r (Microsoft SharePoint): This is another very robust solution, and would cover my need. However, the lack of freeness is an issue. Also, I do not want to expose our Active Directory infrastructure to the outside world. I'd prefer to keep it self-contained, and not so robust. Good idea though, just too much for what we want.

Thuleman (webDAV, unreliability of PHP based web sites):
I'd rather simply have the file transfers take place over HTTP/S with an HTTP/S front-end; not over HTTP/S with a webDAV front-end.
I don't see grounds to your claim that PHP based web sites being poor and unreliable for upload. Wouldn't the upload be over HTTP/S? How does a site being PHP-based make it unreliable or have any effect on it's reliability?

Berg0 (FTP): This would work as a transfer protocol (sFTP), and I would even settle for something integrated into a browser (java applet, etc). But, I truly believe that there must be a solution that operates with a HTTP/S front-end and can use HTTP/S for the encapsulation protocol for the file transfer.

exchange keys (SMB? webDAV? FTP?): Are you speaking of WS_FTP Server by IpSwitch? This looks great, but it costs money. It is very robust, secure (SSH tunnel), and looks great. We're a bit small, and the idea of a web front-end (not a proprietary client) seems like a likely candidate for our needs. Sincerely appreciate the input, I'll probably contact their sales just to have them around if a need arise in the future.

So, I'm still stuck without a solution. These are all great ideas, and the input allowed me to express our needs much more clearly:

I'd like to implement:
- internally hosted (but offered to the Internet)
- box.net/divshare/rapidshare like solution (an http/s front end, and http/s transfer)
- with time expirations on the files
- with a unique ID for each file
- with a password for each file

It seems like something that could be coded fairly easily; but why spend time if there's another solution out there.

Any help or more input is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

I'd rather simply have the file transfers take place over HTTP/S with an HTTP/S front-end; not over HTTP/S with a webDAV front-end.
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, there is no WebDAV front-end. WebDAV is an HTTP extension, which is natively supported by pretty much any recent OS. All it does is allow read/write via HTTP.

I don't see grounds to your claim that PHP based web sites being poor and unreliable for upload. Wouldn't the upload be over HTTP/S? How does a site being PHP-based make it unreliable or have any effect on it's reliability?
It's most likely an implementation issue. I don't know enough about it to tell you how a PHP based upload works, all I know is that by default PHP sets the max upload size to 2MB, I assume there's a reason for that.

- with a password for each file
This did peak my interest. Mind sharing what the application for this would be? Usually there's a password per user, not so much per file.

It's most likely an implementation issue. I don't know enough about it to tell you how a PHP based upload works, all I know is that by default PHP sets the max upload size to 2MB, I assume there's a reason for that.

Defaults are meant to be changed... ;)

This did peak my interest. Mind sharing what the application for this would be? Usually there's a password per user, not so much per file.

Before straying too much, and causing further confusion, I'm interested in something that's a replacement for YouSendIt (for instance). What I'll call a "web file drop," where my users can upload a file to a server (which happens to be housed internally) [setting stuff like a password, expiration date/time] and send a generated link to a client of ours so that they (the client) can download the file from this server [which is a web server].

Again, basically, I want to host YouSendIt. I'm figuring there's some pre-built web site/system out there (or at least a portion) that's already built.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Xythos

They talk a lot about their hosted solutions, but you can buy the software too.
It also integrates with AD and you can map network drives to the client computers.

This way they never have to sign in. Just open their drive.

Novell NetDrive... maps an FTP server to a drive letter

Servu FTP server it has a very easy to use graphic interface that can be accessed through a webpage and only requires a Login name and password

Sharepoint not exciting you?

cyr0n_k0r (Microsoft SharePoint): This is another very robust solution, and would cover my need. However, the lack of freeness is an issue. Also, I do not want to expose our Active Directory infrastructure to the outside world. I'd prefer to keep it self-contained, and not so robust. Good idea though, just too much for what we want.

If you want open source, you might want to try Alfresco.

I looked into this for an internal DMS. Again... great solution, but very very robust. I literally am looking for a light front-end, and something simple.

Novell NetDrive... maps an FTP server to a drive letter

Great news,,, in 1994. j/k Thanks for the input though.

Servu FTP server it has a very easy to use graphic interface that can be accessed through a webpage and only requires a Login name and password

This is almost what I'm looking for, and will do fine. But it's pay :(
Anything linux based that isn't pay?

Thanks again guys,

Matt

Great news,,, in 1994. j/k Thanks for the input though.

lol

hey man, its free, and users dont know whats happening, they just see another drive in my computer so its easy for the dee dee dees...

Back