Looking for a water block "7970 GHZ-E"

Ericks89

n00b
You can view more about the card here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202005

I've been searching for awhile now but have not been successful finding a water block as I plan on water cooling my cards and going in with a 3 way crossfire for stability and awesomeness.

Is there instructions for removing the fans and heat-sinks? This would technically be my first time water cooling video cards no so much a system though.

I will be doing a 3 way crossfire config, I'm looking also at the MSI Lightning BE as well as it's the only water block I can find.

Last edited:
Easiest is go reference or so and use the red mod aka closed loop cooler
But with 3 cards in there might be tight , though looking at the reviews there doesn't seem much benefit in tri fire apart from some people say it feels smoother

There isn't a waterblock that will fit that card. EK might say "visually" it will fit but some users have learned the hard way that they don't always fit. My guess is that the board is different from reference and therefore it wont work. When I was in the market for blocks I went reference cards because the blocks are known to fit. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure there are no blocks that will fit.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039817150

By the way, I have 4 EK 7970 waterblocks with backplates never used that I will be putting up for sale. If you are interested PM me. ;)

I would email the guys at heatkiller.....ie watercool.de

They are pretty responsive and will tell you if their 7970 block will work.

Also you can email Gary at sidewindercomputers.com and ask him. He'll find out for you as well and he sells blocks for the cheapest prices anywhere.:D

Also......as far as removal of the stock heatsink, most aftermarket suppliers will show you how to remove the stock HS in their instructions for the new waterblock. That or you can usually find a good video on youtube that will take you through it.

My advice, before you do that get the proper tools.
Most stock HS are placed on with small Torx head screws or small Phillips head screws. You can get small tools for this at HomeDepot.
Make sure you have some Thermal Paste cleaning solution and a tube of good non-conductive thermal paste......

Noctura NT-H1 or ArcticCooling MX-4 are good examples.

Last edited:
I would email the guys at heatkiller.....ie watercool.de

They are pretty responsive and will tell you if their 7970 block will work.

Also you can email Gary at sidewindercomputers.com and ask him. He'll find out for you as well and he sells blocks for the cheapest prices anywhere.:D

Also......as far as removal of the stock heatsink, most aftermarket suppliers will show you how to remove the stock HS in their instructions for the new waterblock. That or you can usually find a good video on youtube that will take you through it.

My advice, before you do that get the proper tools.
Most stock HS are placed on with small Torx head screws or small Phillips head screws. You can get small tools for this at HomeDepot.
Make sure you have some Thermal Paste cleaning solution and a tube of good non-conductive thermal paste......

Noctura NT-H1 or ArcticCooling MX-4 are good examples.
All solid advice and another +1 for sidewindercomputers. The trick is to figure out if your PCB is similar enough to reference so that everything is properly cooled. Are there RAM chips on the back of the card or are they double density?

Back