Looking for a VPN server to plugin to my existing LAN

blazemonkey

Limp Gawd
As the title says, I'm looking for a hardware VPN server preferably using IPsec or another secure and very compatible VPN protocol to sit behind my existing router as a standalone device to access computers on my LAN from abroad. I don't want to use it as a switch or firewall for my existing LAN, I'd just like to plug it in to my switch with a single Ethernet cable and open the appropriate ports on my router for it. Basically, I only want VPN traffic to go through it, nothing else. If the same device can send a WOL magic packet, that would be a bonus. I don't want to buy or build an expensive box. I'm looking at a FVS318, but I'm not sure if it will work that way. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

The router is provided by my ISP, DCP3825.

I actually did try installing pfsense on an old laptop but I got so frustrated with it I just about threw it out the window. I read a few articles on setting it up for IPSec but nothing I did worked :/

I also tried setting up an openvpn server on my vm host, but after spending hours and hours trying to configure it, I couldn't get it to work either..

The router is provided by my ISP, DCP3825.

I actually did try installing pfsense on an old laptop but I got so frustrated with it I just about threw it out the window. I read a few articles on setting it up for IPSec but nothing I did worked :/

I also tried setting up an openvpn server on my vm host, but after spending hours and hours trying to configure it, I couldn't get it to work either..

You want OpenVPN Access Server VM Image. They make one for VMWARE. Takes about 10 mins to get a fully functional; OpenVPN server up and running.

Setting up an SSH server could be easier, then you just SSH Tunnel into your own network to access everything.

Setting up an SSH server could be easier, then you just SSH Tunnel into your own network to access everything.

I used to do this and it worked quite well but once I invested the time to get an OpenVPN link in place I'll never look back. Full access to anything, routers, guis, windows VMs, switches, what have you just like I'm on the couch, just, on another couch miles away.

Back