• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a very compact micro ATX case.

Kulith

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
259
It has to be microATX because I need the onboard HD 4200 and hdmi out. The micro ATX SLIM cases on newegg are still too big for me. I think there is still a lot of wasted space in there since nothing overlaps.

My build is going to be a gigabyte micro atx ud2h , athlon II x4 630 (stockheatsink), 1 intel ssd, 1 optical drive, 2x2gb memory. If something covers the pci/pcie slots thats great, since I wont be using them.

I saw a picture around here somewhere of a discontinued case (can't find it now) that folded up snuggly, roughly the size of a shoe box (but thinner). Is there anything similar you would recommend?

Thanks
 
Can you give an example of a case too big for you? Have you looked at the Antec Minuet or is that still too big?
 
Can you give an example of a case too big for you? Have you looked at the Antec Minuet or is that still too big?

yes thats what I meant by too big. If you look at it, the case extends extra long out of the top so the powersupply can sit next to the mobo. It also extends extra long out of the front, to make room so that the drive bays don't overlap pci/e cards .

I'm trying to find one even smaller. I don't need the pci/e expansion slots, so having the optical drive/hard drive hang over the motherboard would save a lot of space. Same with the powersupply, if it could attach sideways over the memory (or anywhere else), would decrease height as well.

If I can't find anything, I guess I'll make due with the minuet or something.

img_3766.jpg
 
Silverstone's new SG07 will hold an HD5870 on an ITX board (not quite available yet but has been announced). Lian Li has the currently available Q07 (much larger than SG07), and the Q08 (coming in April) might be able to as well.
 
Honestly, I think you need to ditch MATX and go MITX. Is the onboard HD4200 absolutely necessary? If its an HTPC, the Geforce 8200, 9300, or 9400 should work fine.
 
Honestly, I think you need to ditch MATX and go MITX. Is the onboard HD4200 absolutely necessary? If its an HTPC, the Geforce 8200, 9300, or 9400 should work fine.

You are right, I might do that. I saw this one and I sort of like it, the card reader is a huge plus.

Do you have any suggestions?
 
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-ISK300-65-Mini-itx-Case/dp/B00292BV8C
Antec ISK300-65 - ~$70 shipped

Or you could get a Mac Mini, but I'm not sure if the Mini can output true hd via the displayport output when using Windows 7. I know true hd doesn't work in OS X, but the 9400m should be capable I think.

If you are playing BD-rips, most of them are DD 5.1 anyway so spdif is fine for that.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you like the antec but need more power, they just released the isk 300-150 and isk 310-150 which have 150w.
 
nty for the mac mini. I like the antec, although card reader would be nice.

Would I still be able to have an athlon II x4 630 in there? Or would I run into heat problems.

Also, any motherboard recommendations? Newegg only has 1 amd mini itx.
 
nty for the mac mini. I like the antec, although card reader would be nice.

Would I still be able to have an athlon II x4 630 in there? Or would I run into heat problems.

Also, any motherboard recommendations? Newegg only has 1 amd mini itx.

I'm not sure about any of your other questions, sorry.

Do you own the x4 already?

What is the computer being used for?
 
Not sure what you're using this for, but if just htpc no games, consider an H55 board with an intel i3 530 and use integrated graphics. ~$100 for the proc and ~$130 (maybe less) for the board, if you don't mind waiting a week or two.
 
It will be my parents computer, so it's #1 purpose is going to be internet/multitasking etc, no gaming. But I wanted it to last for a while so I was planning on the x4 since it's a dirt cheap quad

It's #2 purpose is HD playback and maybe even some encoding. It's going to be hooked up to the hdtv for playing movies.

I heard the HD4200 would be better than the i3. And it's cheaper too, thats why I leaning that way.
 
I'm just thinking of the newer HP slimline cases. They cover up the bottom (ish) pci slots so they could saveo on space. it also has a media card readers and a 'decent' psu.
It is kinda big though.

Edit: Yup, took a quick squizz on the HP website, it is quite big.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top