Looking for a subwoofer

Would you consider buying used? The problem with subwoofers is that ones beneath a certain pricepoint >$200-$250 tend to sound a lot more flabbier and boomy than better, more expensive models.

If you're patient, and can swing the extra cost, perhaps you can save up for a Bic H100 or an AV123 X-sub. There are two authorized Bic dealers on ebay that accept "best offers" of $200 + S/H extra. And as i'm sure you already know the the X-sub is delayed till mid-november.

Otherwise if you're stuck at your pricepoint, and insist on a new sub, then maybe check out the Dayton sub-120 at partsexpress. Owners claim it doesn't sound boomy when kept at more moderate volume levels.

Good luck and have fun either way
 
well ill get one just to have one for now then ill prob get a good one along the road, then put the one i get now with my home theter system. the dayton looks pretty good but should i go 10 or 12 inch?
 
Wow, AV123 really cut down the prices on the Satin Black X-LS. I wonder what that metal grille will look like? The JBL sub (10") in my sig costs around $150.

My Tech Pro amp arrives tomorrow. I'll post pics/review soon.
 
Ya that's a great price for the X-LS, that's a no-brainer at that pricepoint, and it even comes with their newer/better tweeters.

OP: Depending on roomsize i'd say err on the side of caution and get the bigger sub. You can always goof around with the enclosure later on by reinforcing it better internally, or even upgrading the driver. They go on sale pretty often and have free-shipping promo's so if you can hold off a short while you might be able to save another $20-$25.
 
I have the Dayton-sub100 and it is pretty decent for the cost. I am using it in a tiny dorm room right now, but it sounded good in my 14x14 bedroom at home as well.

I think i paid about $130 for it at parts express
 
Are you SERIOUS? Did you see that sub I posted? It is worth 3 of those little polk subs lol. I give up seriously. Why I try to help anyone is....

http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?homesubw&1&ctg&st1

Heh, I actually considered buying that Polk sub at one point. However it's $50 cheaper online. Then I did some research on it, and realized it's really not worth the savings!

And I have to ask, does anyone here have any experience with Technical Pro? Unless I'm mistaken (possible) that may not be the best bang for the buck either.
 
Heh, I actually considered buying that Polk sub at one point. However it's $50 cheaper online. Then I did some research on it, and realized it's really not worth the savings!

And I have to ask, does anyone here have any experience with Technical Pro? Unless I'm mistaken (possible) that may not be the best bang for the buck either.

well the reviews make it sound pretty good. if ppl had bad experiences i might just get this.
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Panasonic-SA-XR55S-A-V-Receiver/2672857/product.html
 
No where have I heard a budget yet...

With that I would recommend going for a Denon B-Stock receiver (Denon refurbished) from eCost. It's what I did, and I saved a bundle.

As for a sub, I would look at only three manufacturers...
HSU http://www.hsuresearch.com/
SVS http://www.svsound.com/
Sunfire http://www.sunfire.com/

HSU will be the cheapest, but I would only get the VTF series subs. As for SVS, I would go to them for the dual driver, downfiring experience of the ISD-2 (I'm doing this off the top of my head, so if I got the model wrong sorry). As for Sunfire any of their 'true subwoofers' are good as well as any of their mark II,IV etc... For those I would go to eBay. The other two would be attained either through eBay or directly from the manufacturer.
 
Ah, ok. I've dealt a lot with pro sound equipment, but I've never heard anything about them. Ya learn something new everyday!
Some of my AM radio friends recommended TP. I figure the price is good, so I'll give the amp a tryout.
 
Honestly need to know the size of the room.

maybe you can find a TC10 OEM and build a SEALED box for it. It will probably sound better and get much louder than any other options at that price point.

TC10OEM.jpg


I have 2 of them but I was not able to put them in my car and they will be way too loud for my room, not sure what I am going to do with them.... They can take 1000 watts @ 2 ohms or 8 ohms (DVC) although they are rated a little less, they are underrated. They are a HT / Car audio subwoofer. I have some TC1000's in my Truck and they are pretty damn clean for Car subs, EASILY put my z5500 woofer to shame by many times in clarity and output, but the z5500's sub is really muddy. These should sound better and get louder than my TC1000's. TC Sounds has changed names and are selling a similar driver with a different cone for like 1000 bucks now. Check Caraudio.com maybe or some other forums to see if you can find one. BTW these dwarf a W7's and are supposed to sound better too due to having more linear travel.

Good luck.
 
Back
Top