Looking for a specific size of 4:3 LCD Monitor...

Cyclone

Limp Gawd
Hello All!

I recently bought this monitor:

BenQ G2400WD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014173

Yes, it is not a $700 IPS panel and it sucks because it is a TN blah blah, but I still think it is a great monitor and I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm coming from using dual 19" Sony CRTs (had them since 1999 OMG!), so needless to say my desk has a lot more space than it used to.

I love the new monitor - I love the widescreen 1920x1200 resolution. However, as I was used to dual screens, I'm finding the widescreen does not exactly fit my usage perfectly. I like to have my workflow in one monitor, and on the other monitor have things like chat apps, music player, stock ticker, weather/sports/news open so I can just look over at a glance and see them without having to minimize windows on the "main" monitor.

Although the 1920x1200 resolution is nice, it still doesn't allow me to do this because I'm in love with having 1920x1200 workspace!! So, I've decided the best solution is to get a second LCD monitor to serve my needs.

I'd like to find a 4:3 LCD monitor. Response time shouldn't matter much. Doesn't need to be expensive, but it DOES need to have decent viewing angles (it won't be in my primary field of view), a relatively close color/brightness match to the BenQ G2400WD, and.... it needs to be close to a certain size.

For a size, I would like it to (vertically) match the BenQ G2400WD as closely as possible. Here's the specs:

-The screen itself is 12.5 inches tall.
-Then the monitor has a 0.5 inch bezel on all sides except the bottom, where it is about 1.25 inches.

Oh, and it needs to be black in color!

I know this is a very specific request, but I thought some of you might have some good input. I've trusted the [H] for many many years for great info, so I always come back here when I'm in need.

Thanks!

for it to match the screen size vertically, at 12.5 inches tall..... you are looking at the 15 inch range?
not a whole lot of real estate to work with :p

for it to match the screen size vertically, at 12.5 inches tall..... you are looking at the 15 inch range?
not a whole lot of real estate to work with :p

that's what I love about the [H] - always some fast responses!

thanks for the input, but i have to question... are you sure?
the vertical size on the screen portion of my 19" CRT is only 10.75 inches...

that's what I love about the [H] - always some fast responses!

thanks for the input, but i have to question... are you sure?
the vertical size on the screen portion of my 19" CRT is only 10.75 inches...

not really, it means they are not good at math, but maybe they are better at games ;)

12.5 inch height 4:3 is bigger than 20".

thank you behr... yes i see that a 4:3 monitor that tall would be huge indeed
hmm...

how about 12.5 inch width on a 4:3 montior
i could run it vertically maybe?

can you run a 17-inch 4:3 1280x1024 montior vertically? so... 1024x1280? i often see widescreen monitors used vertically...

I'd advise against using a TN in portrait mode. TN monitors have decent horizontal view angles, but their vertical viewing angles are horrible.

Back