• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Looking for a solid, compact NAS solution for home.

NKDietrich

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
5,442
I don't need a lot, like 4 or 5 bays. RAID optional, I don't mind just JBODing. Performance isn't a big deal. I just need a storage dump on my LAN in a form factor that isn't going to take up room in my already cluttered house.

Thanks for any suggestions.
 
A semi DIY solution is to buy one of the HP Microservers. These apparently go on sale fairly often for as little as $250 on the not to be mentioned website. This provides the ability to easily have 4 drives with a 5th being fairly easy to setup as well. A 6th drive can be added with some modifications to the bios.
 
Are you interested in rolling your own or are you looking for something you just have to drop drives into?
 
Are you interested in rolling your own or are you looking for something you just have to drop drives into?

Not really looking to build my own at this point. I'm working on a big personal water-cooled build and two builds for friends at the moment and don't really want to take on any more builds.

Down the line when my storage needs increase I'll probably do something a little more interesting.
 
QNAP or Synology then, that's what I'd look at if you want to plug and play.
 
synology if you want quick and easy. ZFS on a microserver if you want a small project.
 
In case you are still looking Newegg has the HP Microserver N54L 20%.
$389.99 (original price)
- 50.00 (Instant Rebate)
- 67.99 (20% off)
- 50.00 (MIR)
+ 0.00 (Free shipping)
= $222.00

Plus they throw in a USB3 HDD Dock.
 
Lian-Li has a few decent cases for DIY NAS. I've got the PC-Q08, and I liked it while I was using it. I realized that I didn't need to save space where I was keeping it and migraded up to a NZXT Source 210 for more capacity and cheaper parts.
 
Back
Top