• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a Solid 2.1 Speaker set

4LC4PON3

DERP!
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,230
Ok like the title sais im looking for a Solid 2.1 Performer. I live in an apartment so i cannot have a Extremely kick butt 5.1 or a 7.1 or something crazy so im looking for 2 Speakers and a Woofer. Im a big Fan of Clarity doesnt need to have a BOOMING sub but something that hits pretty well.

thinking about it also I dont even need a Sub just 2 Really good Speakers will do me fine. 100 or less

How are the Bose® Companion® 2 Multimedia Speaker System
 
Last edited:
1) There is a search function. Cheap 2 channel audio is one of the most common topics in here.

2) Swan M10

2.1) The Swans won't give you thumping lows. If you want that kind of music, you'll need to look at actual computer speakers made by companies like Logitech. As you can probably guess, I'm not a fan of them.

2.2) The middle driver in the Swans is not a subwoofer. It is a mid range woofer. Like I said, no deep bass, but the Swans' reputation is stellar.

3) Bose...well, they are good, but I do not believe their quality is anything to be amazed at, especially at the prices they charge.

3.1) The Swans are a much better option at the $100 price point.
 
I am an advocate of the Klipsch ProMedia set. I don't believe that it is sold new anymore, but you can find one new or nearly new somewhere online or local. I have not had the frequently discussed amp burnout problem.

-darkmatter08
 
im not using the speakers for any music at all. I should of meantioned that they are strictly for Gaming use only.
 
1) There is a search function. Cheap 2 channel audio is one of the most common topics in here.

2) Swan M10

2.1) The Swans won't give you thumping lows. If you want that kind of music, you'll need to look at actual computer speakers made by companies like Logitech. As you can probably guess, I'm not a fan of them.

2.2) The middle driver in the Swans is not a subwoofer. It is a mid range woofer. Like I said, no deep bass, but the Swans' reputation is stellar.

3) Bose...well, they are good, but I do not believe their quality is anything to be amazed at, especially at the prices they charge.

3.1) The Swans are a much better option at the $100 price point.


http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/swan-m12/products_id/115

How do these compare?
Looks like a good price.
 
The entire Swan line is a very solid choice. the 12 series will give you about 50Hz more on the low end than the 10s.

I should also point out frequency cutoffs aren't an absolute number. When a set claims '100Hz' as its lowest, it is reporting a number based on a set reference point. Below that there is diminishing response. A good company will report at the -3dB point. Some places will report at -6 or lower in an effort to make their product seem better than it is. Swan is one of the 'good' companies. You will not be disappointed, especially when you get as good of a deal as you can with the 12s.
 
yeah ive been looking at prices and the M10's cost More then the 12's im gonna order a set of 12's this Thursday xmas eve. i hope they are still 99 bucks by the time. i read alot of reviews on the [H] forums and alot of reviews on the net and everyone sais Go swan or Nothing.

Thank u much for the help
 
The entire Swan line is a very solid choice. the 12 series will give you about 50Hz more on the low end than the 10s.

I should also point out frequency cutoffs aren't an absolute number. When a set claims '100Hz' as its lowest, it is reporting a number based on a set reference point. Below that there is diminishing response. A good company will report at the -3dB point. Some places will report at -6 or lower in an effort to make their product seem better than it is. Swan is one of the 'good' companies. You will not be disappointed, especially when you get as good of a deal as you can with the 12s.


Thanks for all your info. :)
 
I'm not sure those M12s look that great. If I'm reading the specs correctly, there are no tweeters on the satellites (M10 has tweeters, which is why it costs more), which means all your midrange and high-end are going through 3" woofers. So you're basically sacrificing clear highs for booming lows.

In other words, this is a Hivi set built for the Xbox generation.

I wouldn't waste my money.
 
While they're nowhere near highend or even midrange, the Logitech Z-4's are a good cost effective 2.1 set. Either them or the Z-2300's are more than fine unless you're very picky and demanding like I am. If you can get a better sounding set for less money (2.1, not Swans), please post em. Also if you can find Edifier S330/D's in your region (they're Canadian), they're really nice for analog. There's some quality control problems with wiring their DAC's properly for optical input :))), but overall a great sounding set for $100USD+.
 
yeah ive decided earlier to order the m10's because i like how they look and i also noticed that there are no tweeters. i didnt like how the m12's looked.

also thanks for the Logitech tips but im looking for Higher end and I do not like logitech products. I want to get a sweet set of speakers because im a big fan of Clear sounds. I went to bestbuy today and loked at the Bose® Companion® 2's they had setup on a gaming laptop and they sounded Great so im expecting the M10 to sound even better.
 
Although I do not own or have heard the M12's, from doing research on the forum the M10's are quite a bit better than the M12's at least for accurate sound reproduction. The M12's are geared more towards gaming whereas the M10's would be better for music etc.

I own the M10's and absolutely love them. The style and sound out of the 2.1 system is amazing. I do not listen to rap or music with much bass in them so the mid woofer was not a big deal at all and was almost a positive to me more than a negative.
 
i just ordered my set of m10's cost me a bit more then i wanted but with all the reviews ive read they are kick ass.
 
They do sound pretty good, when they work.
I got a set for xmas a couple years ago, by mid january the amp in the mid woofer cabinet died. I lost out put to the left channel speaker.
Hope you have better luck.
 
I am an advocate of the Klipsch ProMedia set. I don't believe that it is sold new anymore, but you can find one new or nearly new somewhere online or local. I have not had the frequently discussed amp burnout problem.

+1, best speakers for 150 bucks. They still sell them new at some places. I run a set on one rig and some Klipsch iFi's I that picked up for the lowsky.
 
Last edited:
what has better sound quality the m10's or the Klipsch ProMedia's.

i already ordered the m10's so im going to keep them. the ony thing i dont like is how the speakers volume is on the Subwoofer itself. gonna have to get a keyboard with a volume so i can adjust the sound
 
Placement of that "sub" is supposed to be on the desk top. Makes volume adjustments easier as well.
 
It does not have to be massive.
Bookshelf speakers are not that big. The receiver does take up some room though.
 
I am an advocate of the Klipsch ProMedia set. I don't believe that it is sold new anymore, but you can find one new or nearly new somewhere online or local. I have not had the frequently discussed amp burnout problem.

-darkmatter08

That's what I've been using for years. Love these speakers. If they somehow failed I'd buy another set.



what has better sound quality the m10's or the Klipsch ProMedia's.

i already ordered the m10's so im going to keep them. the ony thing i dont like is how the speakers volume is on the Subwoofer itself. gonna have to get a keyboard with a volume so i can adjust the sound


I also wonder what is better. The Klipsch Promedia's seem perfect for me as a 2.1 setup. The little subwoofer shakes my whole house if it's loud enough.
 
Got the M12`s today and they are just awesome, I can not think the M10`s are any better. These are so crisp & clean, very happy. :)
 
While they're nowhere near highend or even midrange, the Logitech Z-4's are a good cost effective 2.1 set. Either them or the Z-2300's are more than fine unless you're very picky and demanding like I am. If you can get a better sounding set for less money (2.1, not Swans), please post em. Also if you can find Edifier S330/D's in your region (they're Canadian), they're really nice for analog. There's some quality control problems with wiring their DAC's properly for optical input :))), but overall a great sounding set for $100USD+.

I have a set of Z4's that get used for gaming, music, and checking my work in Reason to see how it sounds on a "real-world" set of speakers. I agree, they are a fantastic sounding set for the price.

The control remote is one of the better ones out there as well...and they can get LOUD.
 
Back
Top