Looking for a solid 1200w PSU

DraginDime

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm finally upgrading from my trusty old 2600k/P67-Deluxe setup to a 5930k/MSI x99 build. CPU/Mobo/Ram should be here tomorrow.

I'm still undecided on which PSU upgrade path to take. I know my current setup could probably push my HX850 to it's limit, but it hasn't let me down yet. That said I would like to start with a fresh unit to power my new build with a little more room for overclocking and future upgrades.

I'm thinking 1000w-1200w would be the range I'm shooting for (leaning more toward 1200w). I've heard good things about the EVGA units. Since my Corsair HX850 has been so solid, either HX1000i/HX1200i would be contenders for me as well. The AX series is nice, but too pricey in my opinion.

These are a few I've been looking at.

EVGA 1200P2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...38029&cm_re=EVGA_1200w-_-17-438-029-_-Product

Corsair HX1200i
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139129

Seasonic Platinum 1200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151140

Would like to pull the trigger on a PSU today, so I can get my new setup going this week. Any comments or recommendations are welcome!

Rough specs if anyone is curious (will overclock anything that can be)

Intel 5930k (hoping for 4.5GHz)
MSI Godlike x99
32GB DDR4 (3000mhz)
2x 980Ti in SLI
5x HDDs (actual drives listed in sig)
2x SDDs
4x 200mm fans
1x140mm fan
1x Optical Drive (BluRay)

I am always partial to Corsair but all 3 will do just fine for you.

All great choices really. The 10 year Warranty on the EVGA is a slam dunk.

Yeah, it's almost like splitting hairs to pick one. :D
I'm leaning toward the EVGA, Still considering the Corsair just because I could reuse most of my sleeved cables (I think). Not sure if they will work on the EVGA, which I'd have to resleeve the 24 pin on either so that's a wash.

Plan on redoing your cables. The HX1200i is a completely different unit from your HX850, and there is a very high chance that the pinouts are completely different.

I would lean towards the Seasonic because it's the cheapest of the 3. But the 10 year warranty on the EVGA is very tempting, and EVGA is generally very good with their customer service (all 3 are actually).

I'm also buying a 1200W next week and I'm getting the EVGA P2. It should be quieter than the SeaSonic, which is loud once under load (>70%ish).
Have considered the HX1200i myself which should be quieter than the EVGA. The i-line features are minimal on the HX, imho, and thus irrelevant. Plus it's the most expensive one, at least over the pond and EVGA has better performance, the Leadex platform is great.
Do not get the EVGA 1300W, different unit than 1.2KW and it's much louder according to OCN forum.

Plan on redoing your cables. The HX1200i is a completely different unit from your HX850, and there is a very high chance that the pinouts are completely different.
Yeah I wasn't 100% on my current cables having the correct pin out. Will have to check on that.

I'm also buying a 1200W next week and I'm getting the EVGA P2. It should be quieter than the SeaSonic, which is loud once under load (>70%ish).
Have considered the HX1200i myself which should be quieter than the EVGA. The i-line features are minimal on the HX, imho, and thus irrelevant. Plus it's the most expensive one, at least over the pond and EVGA has better performance, the Leadex platform is great.
Do not get the EVGA 1300W, different unit than 1.2KW and it's much louder according to OCN forum.

I almost jumped on the EVGA 1300, saw it on newegg for like $200, but those those red cables were a turn off :D I'm not too worried about noise, as long as it doesn't sound like a jet taking off.
I don't think Corsair offers a 1200w non i-line PSU. Think the closest are the HX1050 and RM1000.
Out of the 3 choices I picked EVGA is probably the best value (for extra warranty), but they are all pretty close in price. $249-$259 USD

I ended up ordering the HX1200i today.

It was a toss up between it and the EVGA 1200P2, but I figure EVGA gets enough of my money (mostly from GPUs), so I thought I would throw some cash Corsair's way this go around.

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions guys!

Back