• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a smallish case for a HTPC

FnordMan

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 22, 2011
Messages
1,727
Something Mini-ITX sized, not going to use a video card in the system so the only height considerations will be the stock Intel cooler. Though I am open to suggestions for a replacement low profile cooler for the right case, provided the cooler's still reasonably quiet.
Planning on using a PicoPSU so something without a PSU would be good. (eyeballing one of the 25W i3's for the processor)
Tried taking a quick gander around Newegg but there's an absolute ton of cases there.
 
Just NUC it.

Good suggestion but the OP doesn't say exactly what it will be used for. I know HTPC, but that can vary greatly. If I just needed a front end for Plex/Streaming/Casual browsing I would do a NUC.
 
Just NUC it.

Way too expensive with a big capital W there.

Two main problems:
1: Would require new memory. I've already got 4Gig (2x2Gig sticks) of DDR3 laying around.
2: Drive limitations. Already have 1x60Gig SSD for the OS and 1xHDD (320 I think) for recordings.

Right now i'm leaning twords the M350 from the folks at mini-box. Can hold two drives and it's rather tiny as it doesn't have a place for a PSU.

So now I just have to decide if I want to go AM1 w/ an external 19VDC brick* or a i3 based system with a PicoPSU. Right now i'm leaning towards a AM1 system given their low cost. Won't need that much horsepower for this thing.

*ASrock board I found takes external power and has a sata power connector on board.

As to what i'm using it for: TV Recordings and media playback, won't need a lot of horsepower here.
 
I run an Antec ISK 150 with my ITX build. Only thing I don't like is the 80mm fan is tad noisy and the HDD bays cook due to them being right above the PSU.
 
I run an Antec ISK 150 with my ITX build. Only thing I don't like is the 80mm fan is tad noisy and the HDD bays cook due to them being right above the PSU.

Neat, another contender, has usb 3.0 on the front panel even. The 80mm fan shouldn't be too bad (i'm assuming it's replaceable, i'm not getting good pics right now), i've got a 80mm noctua kicking around somewhere.
 
Another one to consider: OrigenAE M10

I might be biased since I use one at home and have another up for sale ;)

Ouch. Looks like a nice case but that price is a bit much for me at the moment. (~US$220 new on amazon)
That and the 60mm fan has me a bit concerned about noise.
 
Back
Top