Looking for a remote assistance app - but . . .

jnick

2[H]4U
I'd be using it to help family members from home. I'm not looking for one to control another computer on my LAN, but rather my cousins computer, to do my routine tech support. Or for my sisters computer, when she needs help with something.

For a while, I've just been using XPs remote assistance, but it is SLOW. Would Remote Desktop work in this situation, or is it only to control computers on a LAN network?

I looked at realVNC, but from what I read doing a search, Remote Desktop is faster . . .

Also, with ALL of these programs, must a username and password be set for the computer? What if my cousin doesn't have a password on his XP account?

Remote desktop is a good choice, but there are a few sticking points. For one, the account you try to log onto the computer with must be passworded. As well, only Windows XP Pro has the Remote Desktop server (as opposed to the client, which Home and Pro both have).

As an alternative, I do like TightVNC and the aforementioned RealVNC. They do need some minor configuration and a password to be set up, but it doesn't require an account password for the Windows account.

Yeah I figured that out :X.

anyway, I downloaded RealVNC, and installed it on both computers on my LAN. Like it so far :). Tomorrow I'll put it on my cousins, and we shall take it from there :p.

Thanks all.

Back