• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a relatively serious disk array/SAN, but affordable

BigDish

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2002
Messages
215
OK...I've grown tired of scattering disks everywhere. I want a SAN. Something like http://www.dynamicnetworkfactory.co...~RAID~/ID/852004-5346/act/Product Description
Now...that's expensive. Is there anything I can find on the used market that is somewhat comparable? I'm open to upgrading drives myself. I've run out of room in boxes to shove HDs in, and a couple things I want to do require SCSI Disks or SANs, so that adds fuel to the reason I want one. Not looking for a NAS.
Is there anything remotely similar to that that is afforable (ie, doesn't cost more than a decent computer)? Home users need storage solutions too! :)
 
It's going to be fairly expensive no matter how you look at it. What exactly do you need a SAN for? 200MB/s writes? Why not NAS? Can you define the difference well enough to know what you need?

That said, there is a fairly cheap solution (which will be outperformed by orders of magnitude by *real* sans): a linux box with a jillion disks in it, and an adapter card which speaks FC as a network connection.
Some links: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lpfcxxxx/ a driver for the Emulex FC HBA.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iprdd/ Ibm power raid hba support
http://www.nas-san.com/differ.html Difference between NAS and SAN

If you really need a SAN, take a look at Sun's network appliances. Cheap at the price.
 
Back
Top