Looking for a Receiver. What Brand?

Namuh

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
66
I have a GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 Motherboard. I'm running audio through my Yamaha RX V-620, Polk Audio sub and I just bought some Polk audio monitor 40 series II's that I haven't hooked up yet. Every time I turn my volume up past a certain level I hear constant static through my speakers when they are not playing any music. So I'm looking to replace the receiver. What brands should I be looking for ? Onkyo? Yamaha again? Pioneer? Lots of different ones for sale on craigslist so let me know what you recommend.
 
Are you running it via optical/coaxial? My old receivers do that too.

What is your budget?
 
Im running it through an rca like jack from the receiver to my motherboard. I would like to keep it below $250. Looking for used equipment here. Something like the Yamaha I currently have at least but with hdmi inputs/outputs.
 
Ah you are running coaxial then.

I think you should consider trying out the lower end Pioneer and Onkyo assuming they process HDMI audio. If you have a modern GPU you can use it for HDMI audio. Much better than optical/coax since it'll give you uncompressed 7.1 versus uncompressed 2 channel or compressed 5.1.

If you only have 2 speakers, this doesn't help you at all, in which case I would consider a Marantz receiver or a Harman/Kardon Stereo receiver (the higher end ones with the digital input).
 
I just got a new receiver 6 or so months ago and I had purchased them all to try, and ended up picking the best one imo. I loved the HK for pure sound quality, but it lacked being able to send the audio signal from HDMI to another speaker B zone. The Denon was very close SQ, not quite as good, but allowed me to do speaker A/B as well as audyssey which calibrates the sub as well. Pioneer was my least favorite as it sounded very bright/harsh.

Models I had compared:
HK 2600
Denon 1911
Pioneer 1021-k
 
Awesome thanks for the help. I have the HK 335 on the hook to buy tomorrow. What guage wire and jacks would you recommend to hook up my Monitor 40's to the HK 335? I can use Amazon as I buy there alot.
 
Remember this: copper is copper.

Buy some 14-16 gauge speaker wire at Home Depot or cheap ones from Amazon. Maybe some banana plugs to make it easier to hook up to the receiver (and the speakers if they support banana plugs).
 
Oh, and test the receiver if possible. Make sure it powers on and works in ALL the channels. Remember to take the remote! :)

Make sure this one doesn't have the static you didn't like in your Yamaha.

Also, test out both receivers while you are there.
 
Good advice I sure will test it out. Hope they have the remote if not guess I will just make due with a universal remote.
 
You can get your speaker wire/banana connections or whatever else at monoprice.com. You only need the thick gauge wire for long runs.
 
You can get your speaker wire/banana connections or whatever else at monoprice.com. You only need the thick gauge wire for long runs.
Thick gauge wire also helps with power delivery from high current receivers. That said 14ga wire should be more then enough for most runs from 15-50 feet. 16ga is good for really short runs of under 15 feet. 12ga for use with high power/current runs over 15 feet.:cool:

Best place for speaker wire:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10239
 
The power game that many receiver manufacturers play can be most misleading.
If you want to know the true current capability of a receiver, check the value of the rail fuses. These fuses are either located near the power transformer and filter capacitors, or on the amplifiers circuit board. There are usually two fuses per channel. (Do not confuse these with the AC line fuse normally found near the power cord.) Check the ampere rating written on the rail fuse. If, for example, each fuse has a 3 amp rating, the amplifier is capable of 6 amps per channel. It's that simple

Whats your budget?

Remember this: copper is copper.

Buy some 14-16 gauge speaker wire at Home Depot or cheap ones from Amazon. Maybe some banana plugs to make it easier to hook up to the receiver (and the speakers if they support banana plugs).
its been proven ages ago theres no difference between $5 cables and $100 cables
 
Ah you are running coaxial then.

I think you should consider trying out the lower end Pioneer and Onkyo assuming they process HDMI audio. If you have a modern GPU you can use it for HDMI audio. Much better than optical/coax since it'll give you uncompressed 7.1 versus uncompressed 2 channel or compressed 5.1.

If you only have 2 speakers, this doesn't help you at all, in which case I would consider a Marantz receiver or a Harman/Kardon Stereo receiver (the higher end ones with the digital input).

Ive seen you post this several times but im almost positive youre dispensing deceiving advice (not on purpose). The HDMI passes through stuff already encoded into 5/7 channel (bluray/dvds, bout it). games/windows do not encode that on the fly, games spit out analog, if thees nothing there to encode it to 5.1 then it will just be 2 channel. This was a big deal back in the day when most sound cards had optical but couldnt actually encode shit, so they would only send 2 channels, and the only thing that encoded was motherboard soundcards with dolby digital live.
 
Ive seen you post this several times but im almost positive youre dispensing deceiving advice (not on purpose). The HDMI passes through stuff already encoded into 5/7 channel (bluray/dvds, bout it). games/windows do not encode that on the fly, games spit out analog, if thees nothing there to encode it to 5.1 then it will just be 2 channel. This was a big deal back in the day when most sound cards had optical but couldnt actually encode shit, so they would only send 2 channels, and the only thing that encoded was motherboard soundcards with dolby digital live.

movies are multichannel. Music stereo.
Ddl is being done by the drivers not the card
 
Back
Top