Looking for a range repeater that DOES NOT create a secondary network

I3eyond

Gawd
Title says it all.

I am running a Netgear WNDR3400 and I need to extend its range.

Likewise, I don't want an extender that's only going to create another network to login to.

Suggestions welcomed!

Regards,
-I3

Flash to ddwrt and run it in bridge-client mode. Done. Done it and it works well for a few connections. Some bandwidth is lost due to overhead. Unifi APs are nice too.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18051

I had the same question earlier this year.
I scanned my local area with wifiinfoview and determined channel 1 and 11 were the best for my network.

I went into my primary router and limited the DHCP addresses to stop at 192.168.1.250. While I was in there, I set it to channel 1.

I purchased an Asus RT-N12 for less than $40 on Amazon. I clicked on administration and set it up as an AP with the same SSID and password as my primary network. I locked the IP address 192.168.1.254, and set the wireless channel to 11.

Everything works flawlessly.

Range repeaters usually don't work. If you have to use true repeat mode, you are using a weak signal to pass on and generally its before the big bend or wall or whatever is truly killing the signal. It wont get around it either. If you just have a long hallway or something they can work but generally they are mostly worthless for what people want to use them for, repeating in a two story house etc.

I agree with the fact that range extenders are junk. I've tried half a dozen I bet over the years. Absolute garbage. IMO two routers with same SSID and same PW are the way to go.

If you don't mind being a little bit "techie" about it... as said above... shut the wireless off and install TWO Unifis... ideal solution.

I agree with the fact that range extenders are junk. I've tried half a dozen I bet over the years. Absolute garbage. IMO two routers with same SSID and same PW are the way to go.

If you don't mind being a little bit "techie" about it... as said above... shut the wireless off and install TWO Unifis... ideal solution.

I usually recommend a UniFi because range extenders are typically marketed to the Best Buy shopper, at an inflated price. Most range extenders cost as much as, or even double, what a UniFi AP costs.

Avoid repeaters like the plague. Wireless is half-duplex as is and repeaters half the bandwidth. Get two APs or two routers set to AP mode and hard wire them.

Back