looking for a raid card that does 0+1

gord27

n00b
just picked up a highpoint rocket raid 3520 for my 4x500gb aaks drives as i'm out of sata ports on my mobo and i want to install an sata dvd burner. previously i had them in raid 0+1 though the mobo said raid 10 i'm sure it was 0+1 based on results with 3520. basically the 3520 only supports raid 10 and needless to say, write performance is dismal compared to what i was used to. so i've looked high and low at 3ware, highpoint, adaptec, and promise and i can't find one single pcie raid card that does 0+1. does anyone know of a good one for a reasonable price (less than $500)? preferably 8 port but i could live with only 4.

Raid 10 and raid 0+1 should not have remarkably different performance characteristics. Where are you seeing these differences? That is, what application or benchmark is giving you different results than with the onboard controller?

i didn't think so either but i've done a lot of reading and based on what i've read raid 10 writes differently than raid 0+1. i'm noticing the differences when i copy files back and forth from my raid 0 raptors. i can copy a large file to the raptors at around 130mb/sec but when i copy it back it only hits around 30mb/sec. i recall seeing at least 60 when it was 0+1 with the onboard controller.

edit - i also don't recall it taking so long when i set up 0+1. raid 10 took 6+ hours to "initialize".

based on my raid 1+0 array, it performs same as raid 0+1 but potentially offers greater redundancy ( possible to survive failure of 2 drives in 4 drive array)

i'm fairly certain raid 0+1 could survive two failures. raid 10 just falls back to mirror where as raid 0+1 falls back to stripe.

anyway, i've got bigger issues now. my drives receive no power unless they're connected to the highpoint controller. i can plug them directly into wall power and they don't start.

see here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1283716

Back