Looking for a quiet Skt. A

j-dawg

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
465
I have an Athlon system and it sounds like a jet. It sucks because I can't leave it runnign at night to do anything, and also because it's just annoying. It's very late so I'm not making much sense, but what's a good Socket A cooler that's quiet? I'm not overclocking or anything, just runnign at stock speeds and with a pair of 80mm case fans in some generic case. Right now I have a Cooler master aluminum heatsink with a CM 40mm fan taht's incredibly loud. The other day just for fun I unplugged the fan and ran the system for about two seconds, and I was left wishing it could be near that quiet all the time. I was looking at a Hyper 6+ or somethign sort of like that, that I could run hopefully with a 92mm fan...I'd prefer a 120mm fan just cos it would be quieter but i guess 92 will work and i doubt if a 120mm will fit in my case. nio pictures but i can osrt of measure or like mspaint it up ro setmohing. ok all i want to know is what would be a good quiet cpu cooler for an athlon xp 1800, quiet please,. no overlcoking. it's three in the morning.


edit: damn i just noticed those sticky threads jeez i'm stupid btu ok guys i guess they're probably outdated or somethign so what's the most recent stuff you've ot for me?
 
zalman 7000, si97A with a quiet 92mm fan, thermaltake silent tower, tt big typhoon, tt sonic tower, cooler master hyper 6+
 
^_^ So you have used that Dynatron?
I was giving advice from personal experiences. That Arctic cooler does indeed have
an impressive dBa rating. However, I would be surprised if the fan was still as quiet
once you stick it on a heatsink. And I've never been a big fan of Bi-metal sinks.
Not when pure Copper jobs are available. Those Dynatron are impresive performers
once you get an 80mm fan on there.

But j-dawg is not OCing & needs silence. Try the Arctic Cooler. :)
 
So right. Bumping this thread. I was considering a Big Typhoon because I'd only herd good things about it and the 120mm fan is supposed to be very quiet.

Two problems:
1. It's expensive. I don't want to pay $60 (with shipping) for a heatsink.
2. It won't fit. I have a Micro-ATX board, and the CPU sits very close to the PSU and the case fan I have. If my ruler is correct, the six centimeters required on all sides from the center of the die brings the HS very close to the PSU and would force me to remove my rear exhaust fan. So basically all 120mm HS solutions are out.

Instead, I looked at this:
http://www.siliconacoustics.com/nexus-axp-3200-quiet-cpu-cooler.html

Nexus thingie. Supports 80mm fans and supposedly runs at only 19dB. Priced well.

What's the general consensus on this heatsink+fan, bearing in mind that silence is my objective, and that I'm not overclocking?
 
why not juss go for the thermalright si-97A? not only does it also support socket A and K8 platforms, its an awesome light weight cooler as well
 
Hmm. What would be a nice silent 92mm fan to go with that? The Panaflo low-speed is officially rated at 27dB. My current one is rated at around 40-50dB. Would 10dB make a noticeable difference?
 
Well, it seems that hanging an 80mm case fan in front of the current heatsink provides good temps at a low volume, so I guess a new heatsink isn't really necessary, but the si-97 is looking good. Thanks, guys.
 
Back
Top