Looking for a quality 1080p

chenw

2[H]4U
Hey all,

I am currently in search of a 1080p monitor to go with my Swift as my side monitor, its main uses would be Web browsing, movies and games (the latter two being the main uses).

Now, the monitor I am looking for have to be as different to Swift as possible, so I can experience the most number of different monitor specs, so what I am looking for is the following:

Must haves -

22~24", No larger, no smaller
Not TN
Have black level at least as deep as Swift
Have back light bleed or IPS glow as most as high as Swift (EG VX2770SMH is too high of a IPS glow)
Glossy or AR glossy. At least not anywhere near as matt as Swift
1080p or 1200p at most.

I am not looking for another 1440p monitor, nor am I looking for a resolution upgrade, and certainly not replacing my Swift. I want to use this monitor as a 'performance' monitor if my GPU's can't handle 1440p.

Things that are nice to have

As thin of a bezel as possible
Good colours, preferably at least a true 8bit like Swift rather than 6bit with FRC.

Things I don't care about:

Rotatable screen
USB or Speakers
Connectivity as long as it is not only DisplayPort or Only DVI/VGA.

Budget: USD$600, but this is negotiable, somewhat.

I had been looking at Eizo EV2450, though problem is that from the specs, it seems to be a 6bit w/ FRC and from the review pictures, it seems like a fairly matt screen.

Does my monitor exist?

Thanks!

The only 22"-24" 1080p displays on the market that are not 6bit+frc are the Eizo cs230 and the NEC p232w.

Last edited:
Hmm... ok, didn't know that...

Any ideas about 1200p in that case?

The CS230 and P232W both seem to have a matt coating from the images, and P232W seems like an older model.

I believe both use the same panel, according to the overclockers.ru's review of the p232w, it uses a pretty harsh ag coating. And there's a 200hz PWM on top of that. Eizo seems to have 16khz pwm. Eizo has a 16bit hw lut, and nec - 14 bit 3d lut, but you need to pay extra to use advanced calibration features. Both have around 20ms of lag.

All 1080p monitors are a compromise in my opinion.

As for 1200p, there's the eizo cs240, which is a wide gamut monitor, but reportedly has a decent srgb emulation. Probably suffers from the same harsh, sparkly anti glare coating issue as well. They only recently adopted the new coating with the cs270.

Last edited:
The Eizo EV2336W has a lighter coating than most of the 1200p options, and can match them image quality wise too since it can cover 96% of the sRGB colour space versus 86-90% for 1080p AH-IPS and 90-92% for 1080p AD-PLS panels which suffer from more than than the AH-IPS panels.

The Eizo CS series monitors have slow pixel response times and are massive wastes of money for the intended uses (especially the CS240 which is a wide gamut monitor=far more IPS glow versus non-wide gamut monitors), as is the P232W which has always been a joke thanks to its grainy matte coating and 200hz PWM. Best 23-24" IPS/PLS Panels. Don't get hung up on specifications like bit depth.

Last edited:
Thanks for that NCX, I will have a look at your website after work.

Is EV2336W PWM free?

I don't know if this would fit your needs, it is 25" but it is ultrawide, it is the same height as a 20" and wider than a 24"
http://displaywars.com/20-inch-16x9-vs-25-inch-21x9
http://displaywars.com/24-inch-16x9-vs-25-inch-21x9

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-25UM65-P-ultrawide-monitor

I have one sitting behind me that is going upstairs whenever I get around to having someone bring it up for me, I upgraded to the 34" model.
It's great for 2.35:1 movies as it fills up the entire screen.
lg%20monitor%201.jpg

and the aspect ratio works with modern games, but some older games will stretch the image to fit.

Yeah, 21:9 was under consideration as well, but if I was to get one I'd probably prefer the 29" version, since the height of a 20" is a tad too short, though I like the price

The 24UM65 coating looks quite matte though :(, but I think I am starting to understand the woes of wanting a glossy monitor :p

(I think I might be too picky?)

I personally can't stand glossy. it does "look" somewhat nicer but the reflections and glare really bother me.
The 29" is 0.3" shorter than a 24" 16:9.

the PPI of the 25" LG is probably about the same as your 27" 1440p monitor, the 29" LG has a lower PPI so your icons will be larger on the 29", don't know if that will bother you.

I had a look at NCX's thread and spotted the S2416H because it fits a lot of what I wanted, reasonable cost and that it's available in shops here (no ordering online required).

How bad is the BLB/IPS glow on this monitor? and is the bezel black?

With regards to the LG ultra wide, I quite like the price on that monitor, looks perfect for movies, but it's just a tad short I think.

Damn... I am now thinking of owning 3 monitors... 1 Gaming, 1 vertical webpaging and 1 ultra wide movies lol....

Back