Looking for a programmable button for command execution

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

I am looking for a button, perhaps available in red :D, that can easily be programmed to executive something. It would be very cool if there was even something that had multiple buttons, each which you could set to do something very specific. I am thinking that this could be used for serious business as well as comedy at work. I know that we may want to have a button that remotely executes iisreset on a server; another button that does 'shutdown -f -r -t 0' on select servers; or whatever that my co-workers and boss may feel would be handy to have available (for both convenience, stress relief, and productivity).

A button to shut down a server? That's both lazy and stupid. What if someone accidentally hits it on a production server? It takes what, 30 seconds if that to remote into a server and reboot?

Was going to post this. You can get "mushroom" buttons (those "emergency stop" style ones) and all sorts of other fun stuff at automationdirect.com.

Have a central server that polls the arduino to see if a button was pressed (or any condition you want) and it can then execute a command on a remote server via ssh with key pair authentication (no password so it logs in without any prompt).

Can also be used for environmental control. Ex: a thermostat hooked up to it could act as a low/high temp alarm point.

Back