Looking for a powersupply with longer cables.

shoney

Limp Gawd
I just got myself a v2000 lian-li and the cables from my antec are too short. They reach the motherboard but I hate having this stretched out cable right in the middle of everything and I needed to use splitters to get to my dvd drive.

I'm looking for something that will last for atleast last through 3 new builds (4-5 years), I prefer if it is already pre-sleeved and it can't give me any problems with putting it into my v2000. My next PC setup will probably be one with the new M2 socket motherboards, a dual core CPU and 2 videocards.

I have 250 dollars but I still need to buy some new speakers.

Go to performance-pcs.com website and get some tools and cable and heatshrink and the works and make your own. :D

asking for a supply to be relevant that long is overly optomistic IMO
where exactly the standards are headed is somewhat up in the air
Id recommend an EPS12V compatible supply with an 8 pin auxillary +12V mobo connector as a likely candidate for the next revision of the ATX12V standard

Id also point out that PCP&C has a complete list of all the cable lengths the supplies ship with, that custom cable packages are available and that they are widely regarded as the best PSU available, and finally that if long term relevancy is the goal, theyd be the best bet IMO

of course the 850 SSI does cost a small fortune, personally Id get an EPS12V compatible 510 SLI
and upgrade if there is an actual need

hmm sounds good, PC power and coolings site has really good prices too!

sarcasm so thick you can cut it with a knife and butter your bread with it :p

while the cost is steep
your actually getting what you pay for, with a far superior medical quality PSU IMO
(load regulation and AC Ripple unmatched in the enthusiasts and end user market)

there are alot of expensive PSUs out there with loads of eye appeal creeping up on the base price of a basic PCP&C 510 that are basically crap

I am of course talking about the turbo cool series only, well that and the 850 SSI
but you have no need for a true EPS12V compliant splitplane 4 x +12V monster this side of a dual or quad processor dual core with dual SLi or Crossfire and a RAID array that will bring your local electrical utility to its knees when you spin it up ;)

So, there is like 9 choices for the turbocool 510s. how do I know which are EPS12V compatible?

never mind, it's in the tech specs.

a 8 pin connector can attach directly to a 4 pin mobo header if there is physical clearence to do so, if not an adapter can be employed, there is a serious rumor that the next gen of the ATX12V standard will adopt the 8 pin from the current EPS12V standard (like it did the 24 pin main power connector in the last revision) inorder to power the new PCI-E 150W spec (which doubled from 75W)

thus by getting a supply that is EPS12V compatible you have options ;)

Thx. Now I'm just gonna wait around and look for the best deal.

if budget is a critical concern there are quite a few other supplies with both EPS12V compatibility (note Im not saying they are currently compliant, that requires 3 or 4 +12V rails) with nearly the same amperage on the either well regulated single or double +12V rail and acceptable load regulation and AC Ripple, the PCP&C 510 vastly exceeds spec, and you dont absolutely need that.

The Seasonic S-12 600 Watt comes to mind
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151025

has both a 4 pin & 8 pin aux

however

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article247-page3.html
There are a total of nine cable sets. The main ATX cable seems a bit on the short side at 16", but it should reach most motherboards in most cases.

16" cable for main 20+4 pin ATX connector.
26" cable with two 6-pin PCIe video / SLI connectors
18" auxiliary 12V connector
19" auxiliary 4x12V connector (for dual CPU boards)
33 " cable with three 4-pin IDE drive connectors and one floppy drive power connector
27" cable with two 4-pin IDE drive connectors and one floppy drive power connector
2 x 24" cables with two SATA drive connectors each
21" cable with 3-pin PSU fan speed monitor connector for motherboard

bump for edit

The reason the PCP&C came to mind was actually related to your first question, as they have exceptionally long main mobo cables :p

(I have an older 510 AG, which is a model w both EPS12V compatibility and a lead for AGP Pro)

Well budget is a small concern. I don't really make that much money with me still being a highschool student. Education comes first, then play and then work. I might switch that though this fall and winter season. I'm just looking for a great PSU and that PC power and coolling will be great. Anyways if I wait 1 more month I will have enough for the 850w.

actually scratch that whole getting a 850w. My headphones just broke and I have no speakers or extra headphones. I need to order some new ones. :( :mad: :(

The Antec Neo Power and True Powers have fairly long cables as well.

Back