Looking for a nice / low priced 22" LCD monitor, suggestions?

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

I'm back in the market for another monitor. Last time I was doing research, it looked as though I would be getting the Samsung 22" 2232bw monitor. I've seen this monitor displayed in best buy, and it actually seemed kind of dark, but I wasn't sure. The price has come down a bit, but I just wanted to make a post to make sure I got something that I would be happy with.

1) Looking for a 22" monitor that is a decent price. I'm hoping I won't pay much more than $200 for this.
2) Something that will be bright, vivid colors.
3) I am currently running the rig in my setup, and will be running a resolution of gaming of 1280x1024. The video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro. This monitor would be the first step towards my new computer I believe, as I wouldn't mind being able to look at a nice picture before being able to build the new computer.

I hope you guys agree, and I look forward to all of your suggestions!

l227wtg-pf 10000-1 contrast 1:1 pixel mapping 0-1 ms lag no back light bleed 170-170 viewing angle (best for tn) .28 pixel pitch for a 22inch is perfect. no screendoor effect. is glossy but not as bad as a crt. if a crt never botherd you then this definilty want. scales all resolutions perfectly. scaler is very good. has the lplw-g4 panel in it (are the one i got did) scaler has the ability to pass on the refresh rate signal past the scaler (doesn't frame skip with higher than 60 hz) hdcp complient but dosen't have hdmi to keep cost down has vga and dvi. scaler and signal controller are good. no noticeable diffrence between dvi and vga. so i stuck with vga so i could run higher refresh rates. 300 cd/m² DVI-D with HDCP, 15-pin D-sub 16.7 Million colors and also dithering is perfect. no banding unless you go below 70 contrast and thats on a scale chart
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 3-Year 48 Hr Quick Swap Service by Manufacturer
Labor 3-Year 48 Hr Quick Swap Service by Manufacturer

VESA Mountable
bestbuy has it on sale for 259.99 well worth every cent for a tn

The LG L227WTG 22" is in the $200-300 range: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005109
wink.gif

LG L227WTG-PF man. Visit your local Best Buy and take a look. Comparing it to other lcds, it makes the others looks dull and washed out. Very good on the backlighting. Hardly notice any bleeding. Vivid colors. Buy it. buy it, buy it, buy it! Over $200? That's ok buy it anyways. Hehe.

This monitor is taking over, haha.

We can thank Samsung's idiotic "panel lottery" for that. There was a time, from the early 90s until recently, when Samsung made some of the best monitors ever. Using poor CMO panels in their selection nowadays reminds me of how Daimler was supposed to teach Chrysler how to make quality cars ... instead, Mercedes-Benz's reputation for reliability took a massive hit :p

Well if you're a gamer, go with the LG, but if not, Newegg has a great deal (if you're willing to put up with Open Box) on the HP LP2275w (which uses an S-PVA panel) for only $250; the retail price is around $360. TFTCentral liked it's color reproduction in this review.

Well if you're a gamer, go with the LG, but if not, Newegg has a great deal (if you're willing to put up with Open Box) on the HP LP2275w (which uses an S-PVA panel) for only $250; the retail price is around $360. TFTCentral liked it's color reproduction in this review.
I second this deal. Jump on it! You will not find a better monitor for the price!

Don't get the HP lcd. Hehe well.. I do have an HP 22" but, anyways LG covers 3 years on their lcds. HP only 1 year. Though their HP 30" does cover 3yr parts/labor

You mean the HP monitor from newegg? I know it is open box, but how does it stack up to the lg? Do I still get factory warranty if it is open box?

Depends on the manufacturer's policy (some, like Sapphire video cards, require you to take up your issues with the retailer); Newegg's own policy for Open Box items is this (taken from a THG poster who had similar questions):

"Are refurbished and open box the same thing? Open box motherboards at newegg are not refurbished I don't believe? Open Box are simply returned items from other customers. newegg doesn't test open box items at all. Anyway, here is the newegg policy:
Newegg.com does not test any product, including open box items. Open Box items therefore are only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to varying qualities between manufacturers, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS.
Open Box merchandise are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. The products are sold considerably under cost. Newegg.com guarantees all open box products for 15 days only. CPUs, however, only have 7 day refund-only return policy. All open box items are considered OEM "barebone" parts.
Barebone means Newegg.com can only guarantee the item by itself, and no other accessories. No matter what the product description says, open box products may not have all the other accessories normally shipped with a new product. Newegg.com only guarantees that the barebone item itself will be included. Do not be upset or surprised if your open box product does not contain any cables, adaptors, manuals, CDs, drivers, fan, etc. Newegg.com will not send you any missing accessories, even if the accessory is essential to the product's operation.
While Newegg.com does not like to discourage sales, only the experienced PC enthusiast should purchase open box items and know how to deal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Deal with missing accessories. Only buy open box products if you are willing to resolve defects and/or know how to find missing accessories.
Open Box products do have a considerably higher return rate than brand new items. If you are just looking to get a good deal, please only buy new products.

YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS.
"

Basically, when Newegg gets returned items back from their customers (said items being returned w/no complaints), they simply shove 'em back into a box, offer it at a discount, and give it back to you. Kinda like a lower-end way to offer a "refurbished" item.

The HP itself is better than the LG for everything except FPS gaming.

Don't get the HP lcd. Hehe well.. I do have an HP 22" but, anyways LG covers 3 years on their lcds. HP only 1 year. Though their HP 30" does cover 3yr parts/labor
True that -- seems like HP is adopting the Dell approach for their items: you pay top dollar, we'll give you top help. Mid-to-low dollar range? You get Indian tech support :p

$279 is a bit steep, especially at $309 if I can't hop on the deal... but I do want to get something that would last, so I'm going to add this to my wish list. Hopefully I can get it at some point!

Note: Referring to the LG L227WTG...

I bought this monitor!

I'm really uncomfortable spending $$$ on it, but I already had money for it so I decided to make the jump. This will also count as an x-mas present for my girlfriend, because she'll get my 17" LCD which will replace her 19" CRT from her desk, actually giving her some desk space.

My friend told me that playing games on an LCD, without being at native resolution is stupid. I was a little thrown off by this. My specs are in my signature, specifically with the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. My biggest concern will be that if I play a game at native resolution, it would slow it down. I spoke to one of my friends, and he said I should not experience any performance issues playing a game at native resolution... regardless of my system. I hope that stands true.

It'll be quite the experience playing WoW full screen at 1680x1050... I'm a little bit nervous that this won't work out as well as anticipated, especially since I only game at 1280x1024 now. How much do you think my video card will be affected? I really hope you guys can answer that!

Also, should I play with VSYNC on or off now?

Monitor is great, I still haven't been able to figure out when I should and shouldn't use VSYNC. Right now I have disabled it again. The only thing I dislike about the monitor is just what the reviews stated; the stand is flimsy at best. Any movement my desk makes, and the monitor can be seen shaking left and right a little bit.

Slightly annoying, but with the quality of the monitor it's incredibly bearable.

i'm glad you like it. i don't like the stand either to be honest im going to get an ergotron later after i finish my computer.

Their stands look nice, and $50 isn't that bad for a single monitor stand... I wonder if I would have the same rocking issues as I have with the existing LG stand however.

Back