Looking for a New Water Cooled Setup - Advice/Recommendations?

JMcQueen

Limp Gawd
I currently have a Corsair H50 on a i7 920 at 4.0ghz and it does the job well enough. Its fitted inside a Silverstone SG-01 with the radiator mounted inside the case on the support beam running the legnth of the case.

As ever though, I'm looking into improving the setup. Im planning on replacing the single radiator of the H50 with a 240mm Black Ice Stealth unit which should fit in the current position. The biggest issues I have are with the reservoir and pump. The H50 has no reservoir and the pump is on the CPU block so obviously this is something I need to consider.

To increase the amount of space available Im going to mount the Intel SSD in the top optical bay which would then allow me to strip out the harddrive cage to make space for a pump and reservoir. The only question is, which ones would be best?

I currently have a Corsair H50 on a i7 920 at 4.0ghz and it does the job well enough. Its fitted inside a Silverstone SG-01 with the radiator mounted inside the case on the support beam running the legnth of the case.

As ever though, I'm looking into improving the setup. Im planning on replacing the single radiator of the H50 with a 240mm Black Ice Stealth unit which should fit in the current position. The biggest issues I have are with the reservoir and pump. The H50 has no reservoir and the pump is on the CPU block so obviously this is something I need to consider.

To increase the amount of space available Im going to mount the Intel SSD in the top optical bay which would then allow me to strip out the harddrive cage to make space for a pump and reservoir. The only question is, which ones would be best?

They reservoir is built into the pump, aka the part that attaches to the cpu. Just build a real setup. A lot better performance, and about the same hassle.

Thats what Im looking to do, I just need help choosing the right pump and reservoir given the constraints of the case size.

The H50 does a pretty decent job but Im looking to build a better loop myself.

Thats what Im looking to do, I just need help choosing the right pump and reservoir given the constraints of the case size.

The H50 does a pretty decent job but Im looking to build a better loop myself.

So your not trying to modify the H50?

God no! I did think about it for a while but then thought it too much effort with it being a sealed unit and uncertainty over what the pump could/couldnt hand etc.

Sorry if it read that way - I have a bit of flu at the moment and my heads like cotton wool. But Im looking to build a full new loop but still using the SG-01 (I like really like this case).

Ok, it did sound like you were. :D

I would take a look at the, Inexpensive custom WCing starter equipment listpage. I got all the same parts, with the exception of 1/2 ID tubing rather then the 7/16 ID tubing.

This is your case correct?

41W0jQ5M0yL.jpg

I would mount the Radiator on the right side looking at the picture above. Take a look at my thread Venturing into the Realm of Wc. I mounted them on the side using a some brackets I found at Home Depot, lock washers, and bolts. I had to cut the brackets and the side of my case to accommodate them. I also used a glossy black spray paint for them.

Last edited:
The most recommended pumps are the laing d5 and the ddc 3.2 and it's variants. I'd recommend a ddc 3.2 or 3.25 (it's very small but powerful). They sometimes go by different names depending on the store - mcp355 (swiftech's rebrand) or pmp400 (koolance rebrand).
As for the res, you can get a pump top with a reservoir built in if the measurements fit - or swiftech makes a microres you should be able to fit into your case that's really good.

The most recommended pumps are the laing d5 and the ddc 3.2 and it's variants. I'd recommend a ddc 3.2 or 3.25 (it's very small but powerful). They sometimes go by different names depending on the store - mcp355 (swiftech's rebrand) or pmp400 (koolance rebrand).
As for the res, you can get a pump top with a reservoir built in if the measurements fit - or swiftech makes a microres you should be able to fit into your case that's really good.

For that small of a case it would be easiest to do a T-Line Setup, or a pump with the res built in.

The right hand side of the case is a no go as its where the psu and everything sits but the left hand side is fine. Thats how I've currently got things laid out:

I also agree that a T ring would probably be best due to the size restrictions. Im thinking of using this pump:

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/12V-Laing-DDC-1T-Pro-10W-MCP350wXSPC-V3-Acetal-Pump-Top_754.html

with this CPU block:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-012-EK&groupid=962&catid=1519&subcat=1535

Does that look ok? Also, what size tubing do you guys think would be best for an i7? Id love to use 1/2" but think that it might be too big

The pump looks good. I'm not sure about the cpu block, however. Although when it really comes down to it, it doesn't matter a whole lot. I would suggest the Enzotech Sapphire, not sure if you can get that over in the UK.

Also, the right side is a no go? For the radiator I mean.

Depends how big the 1/2 is, whether it's 5/8 OD, 7/16 OD, etc.

I just picked up yesterday at Home Depot (hardware store), some 5/8 OD, 1/2 ID black tubing. 10 feet for 7 bucks. I would check around at any hardware store to see if they have some tubing. It's cheaper then anywhere else I've seen online.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea. You could mount the radiator externally on the right side but internally is a no go. At the front its the opticals and at the back its the psu taking up the top level. Underneath the PSU is where the processor sits and the hard drive cage is under the opticals.

swiftech has a line of radiators with built in pumps/reservoirs. might want to check those out and see if they can work in your situation. would save a lot of time/planning.

Yeah, I have considered those. The only problem is that the 2x120 measures 284x128x34 compared to 227x133x29 of the Black Ice Stealth. This would mean that the radiator would definately have to go external on the side of the case which is do able but obviously wouldnt look as clean. The other problem is that radiators with built in reservoirs are only good for the vertical and Im looking to mount horizontal.

Last edited:
To give you an idea of the case layout, this is the chassis striped of all components and covers etc. I've decided that im also going to colour code the internals so its now in the garage letting its second coat of grey primer dry.

PC1.jpg

PC2.jpg

PC3.jpg

PC4.jpg

PC5.jpg

PC6.jpg

PC7.jpg

Ok, just in case anyones ever looking for ideas of how to do things, Im turning this into my build thread...

PC8.jpg

This was my working PC whilst doing the build

PC12.jpg

PC11.jpg

PC10.jpg

PC9.jpg

The case back from the powder coaters showing the XSPC reservoir in place

PC17.jpg

PC20.jpg

My mounting solution for hard drives. An SSD and 2.5" drive

PC28.jpg

Showing how the pump sits on top of the hard drive enclosure