• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a new video card

klewis

n00b
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
40
Okay, im building a new gaming system. My limit is around or just above $1000 for the whole computer.... I need some help on the video card aspect? What would be worth my while as far as performance/cost goes? ATI or Nvidia. I am gonna go with a AMD 64 3000+, 2x512MB 3200 DDR Ram, MSI Mobo w/ ATI chipset. Suggestions please :D

Thanks in advance
 
nVidia

6800 series(gt,nu,le,ultra)

ATI

x800 series(xl,xt) or x850(xt,xl,xtpe) series


Any of them would do you good with your specs.
 
i would suggest x800xl/xt. if you can afford x850xt. you can also get 6800gt or ultra, but i would go with ati.
 
Thanks for the input, I would like more if possible... I just want something that will perform good in the new games out and the future games coming out like call of duty 2 in October.
 
klewis said:
Thanks for the input, I would like more if possible... I just want something that will perform good in the new games out and the future games coming out like call of duty 2 in October.

another vote for the 78GT
 
get 7800GT and u will be very happy over 3 years or longer dependin on the development of game. :p
 
7800 is sorta out of my pricerange, or what I was looking to spend. whats the biggest bang for my buck?
 
x850xt its 100 cheaper than the 7800gt If you wanna stay under 1000 you better do that...or go with the x800xl, its what I have and look how cool I am :p
 
are you going agp or pcie?

a x800xt pcie is going to cost you as much as a 7800gt, theres no point in buying a x800xt with the prices now as the 7800gt is lots better

going from xl to xt wont give you a huge boost, noticable, but not huge, but 7800gt will destroy any xl or xt.

unless you're going agp or something but that would be stupid
 
you said new gaming machine, does that mean you already have a monitor?

if so then you a $400 videocard could fit your budget
 
Yes, I just bought a new 19" CRT Flatscreen Monitor. I was going to go with a 19" LCD... but decided otherwise since CRT's are better for gaming.

$400 may fit my budget, but I was looking to spend a little less on a video card, but if its really truly worth it, I might bite. I just want to get all my options.
 
klewis said:
Yes, I just bought a new 19" CRT Flatscreen Monitor. I was going to go with a 19" LCD... but decided otherwise since CRT's are better for gaming.

$400 may fit my budget, but I was looking to spend a little less on a video card, but if its really truly worth it, I might bite. I just want to get all my options.

well you said gaming system

the videocard is the most important part of any gaming system and money spent there will have more effect on your gaming performance then anywhere else in your system.

if you spend $100 more on a cpu it wont help a huge amount with gaming, but if you spend that $100 on a better videocard instead then you will get a lot more gaming performance out of that $100.

do you just have a problem with spending too much on one single item?
 
natekoz said:
get a 7800 from this place and it comes with a free motherboard. That way you can kill two birds with one stone and get the best damn video card out. http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=258


i looks like they raised their card prices by $50 to match msrp for this deal. but still $50 for a sli mobo is damn good. but that mobo is so not worth $200, more like $140

good deal if you havent got a mobo yet
 
Nidhogg said:
well you said gaming system

the videocard is the most important part of any gaming system and money spent there will have more effect on your gaming performance then anywhere else in your system.

if you spend $100 more on a cpu it wont help a huge amount with gaming, but if you spend that $100 on a better videocard instead then you will get a lot more gaming performance out of that $100.

do you just have a problem with spending too much on one single item?
I think thats it. But your points are vaild, and of course bang on. So which card do you suggest? 7800GT?
 
klewis said:
I think thats it. But your points are vaild, and of course bang on. So which card do you suggest? 7800GT?

its the best $400 card out there, if you spend the extra $100 on a gtx you probably wont even notice too much of an improvement on games now as the gt can handle all of them without any problem at all.
 
Back
Top