Looking for a new switch

C_N1

n00b
I am upgrading my office. I got a new NAS with a 10gigabit SFP port. I need a new switch with at least 16 1gigabit RJ45,
at least 1 10gig RJ45 and 1 10gig SFP. I want that the NAS has 1gig connection to all pc's and
servers except 1 pc which will have a 10gig RJ45.

I have no experience with managed or unmanaged switches etc. and I don't want to spend money on something I won't
need and the office can't afford unnecessary expenses right now :( Another thing is that I was looking for some switches and they seem
to have 1gig SFP??? or is all SFP 10gig? and some switches have the RJ45 optional if one doesn't use the SFP.
for example: RJ45 port 23 and port 24 are joined with SFP 23 and 24

P.S.: 2 10gig SFP and 2 10gig RJ45 would be optimal for future upgrades. The switch will be in a server rack.

SFP is GbE.
SFP+ is 10 GbE

I don't personally have any good recommendations but keep an eye out for the above distinction while you're shopping.

Last edited:
If your on a tight budget, 10GB is probably not worth it.

What NAS is it? Are you sure your disk setup can even saturate 1gb?

the cisco sg500xg-8f8t is the only switch i know of that combines 10Gbase-T and SFP+, it doesn't meet your requirements for the 16 1Gbe ports however.

It's a custom made NAS, I got a cheap used SFP+ port and the SSD's are in RAID 10, there are only 4. It is used as an active NAS for when everyone needs to work on the files. Once that is done the files can be put onto the normal 16TB archive NAS. But it seems like the cheapest option would be a 10gbit switch for around 1500 then :/

ACTUALLY! what about this "HP J9050A" (refurbished)

Back