Looking for a new cooler.

forrehmmnd

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 25, 2007
Messages
1,353
Looking for something a little better than my scythe ninja. Its starting to show its age. I am considering the TRUE-120, but i was also wondering about the IFX-14, and the scythe ninja copper. I have about 110$ to spend, so money really isnt too big of an object. I would preferably like to stick with air, but if i can get a decent working water setup from that, i would take the plunge.

Any suggestions.
 
The TRUE and IFX-14 perform about on par with each other, and both are better than the Ninja copper. There's also the Xigmatek HDT-1283, which cools nearly as well as the Thermalrights but is quite inexpensive(~$40). If you don't mind using up most of your budget, then go with the TRUE or IFX by all means, but if you'd like to keep your costs as low as possible, I would recommend the Xigmatek as a much cheaper alternative.
 
I like the Xigmatek HDT-1283. Cost is not an issue, it just works better than the Thermalright it replaced which had a concave base. One should not have to lap at those prices. TR's QA has gone downhill.
 
I like the Xigmatek HDT-1283. Cost is not an issue, it just works better than the Thermalright it replaced which had a concave base. One should not have to lap at those prices. TR's QA has gone downhill.

^ same for me. A lot of people have trouble with TRUE not making good contact due to poorly manufactured bases and the weight of the cooler itself along with the mount design. Regardless of the price, its hard to find a major fault with the S1283 compared to the alternatives. Grab a S1283 + Thermalright bolt through kit ($5) and that is about as good as it gets for air cooling right now.
 
Hmm, i heard about the bases being rough, but not concave. Ill look into the IFX-14 or the S128.
 
TRUE ... make sure you get the extreme version which has additional heatpipes. I love mine.
 
I've been liking my Ultima 90 w/ a 92mm M1A fan. Keeps my proc real cool and isn't so gigantic. Also the mounting bracket assembly a breeze with the multisocket backplate and the 2 spring loaded screw and crossbar. The thing won't budge.

Only gripe I sorta have is that the mounting brackets on top of cooler stick out pretty far passed the LGA 775 area so watch out. My Rampage Formula has that stupid silver heatsink and I had to gently bend two fins near the edge to get the thing installed. Minor issue but I wish ASUS would lose that dumb silver fined heatsick for the optional fan what a waste of space.
 
Back
Top