Looking for a new camera bag..

Lamont

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have a 5D w/grip and my old Lowpro backpack does not fit it well (camera is too heavy/big). Looking for something that is easy to travel with and take the camera out quickly. One of the problems with the Lowpro was getting my gear out and traveling to events with such a big backpack.

Lens: Canon 70-200 2.8 USM, 80mm 1.8 and 152cm tripod.

Thanks

Are you looking for another backpack or something else entirely? I really like the ThinkTank line of products, and think their should bags would be great for you, minus the tripod.

What's the size of the tripod when folded? Also, what's your budget?

If you hike, then what I'm using works pretty well. It's a Kata 3N1 30. The trick was fitting a 70-200mm with the camera attached. Few bags can do that from a sideways position.

There are a few other options (I spent a huge number of hours before buying a bag). The 3N1 series can carry a tripod with an added attachment. I paid for it and I do use it. It's definitely for medium sized tripods or below. A 'travel sized' tripod would be perfect. I put an oversized tripod on it, jimmied it, and got it to work, but with that much hanging off the end of my pack it wasn't really suitable for extremely long hikes. Like I said before, a travel sized tripod wouldn't have that issue.
Lowepro makes a similar bag to the 3N1 series. As does Petrol.

Lowepro is the cheapest, followed by Kata, Petrol being the most expensive. I believe in "you get what you pay for", and it for me still more than applies for bags.

The irony for me is, now that I've gotten the best backpack (for my old uses), now I more than likely will have to get another bag to carry all my gear for studio purposes. I'm probably going to get a Thinktank Airport series bag at some point.

Northrop: I would like to get something along the lines of a shoulder bag. Where I have access to the gear and can walk through crowds, or hike through a forest. Budget... I dunno about $150~$200. Depends on the bag.

Tripod is about 60cm/24" folded.

UnknownSouljer: That Kata 3N1 30 looks nice... but maybe too big. I will go to the store and see if they have one and try it out.

I will head off to the camera shop again and look at the bags and try them on. I got the LowePro a long time ago and it worked well. But now it is not holding it's own.

Thanks for the links! Will read up on them.

I think you will end up getting two separate bags at the end of the day ;)

Hiking trails with a shoulder bag will get uncomfortable very quickly. It might be fine for shorter hikes, but for a day long 20 mile hikes, you want regular backpack. And with that, I strongly suggest getting a hiking backpack, not a photo gear bag.

I use my old Gregory Z30 for that. I put lenses in ThinkTank lens pouches, and just put that in the backpack. The Gregory pack is far more comfortable than any photo pack I've ever tried, and has enough room to accommodate 3-4 lenses, camera body, accessories and still has enough room for water, food, rain coat, whatever else you might need on a hike, and the tripod can be easily attached to the side of it.

As for the shoulder type bags, try the SlingShot AW from Lowepro. That might just be what you want for the urban travels.

@UnknownSouljer, The Airport Accelerator is superb. It's big, relatively comfortable when packed to its limit, but it sure makes the life easier :cool:

I'm obsessed about looking sharp, so I'm thinking about getting one of the Ona messenger bags. I like that it has room for a 15" laptop.

Northrop: I would like to get something along the lines of a shoulder bag. Where I have access to the gear and can walk through crowds, or hike through a forest. Budget... I dunno about $150~$200. Depends on the bag.

Tripod is about 60cm/24" folded.

UnknownSouljer: That Kata 3N1 30 looks nice... but maybe too big. I will go to the store and see if they have one and try it out.

I will head off to the camera shop again and look at the bags and try them on. I got the LowePro a long time ago and it worked well. But now it is not holding it's own.

Thanks for the links! Will read up on them.

I'll save you the trouble of looking at the 3N1 22 or and smaller size other than the 30. The 30 is the only one that supports a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, at least in terms of being made by Kata. I went bag shopping for a really long time before I got that bag.

The 30 may be 'too big' for you. Totally possible, but I will point out at the very least it will be lightweight (when empty). There won't be an increase in difficulty from using that bag over another of smaller size.

Awesome again UnknownSouljer. I am looking for the 3N1 22 now at camera shops so I can see how big they are when I wear it. I might end up getting two bags: One that is sling type and carry a cam with mounted 70-200 and extra lens. Then something more like a full bag when I am not in confined spaces for long walks to a location.

I am glad you started this thread as I am in the market for a replacement solution to carry my gear.I currently use a canon backpack that I bought used from a friend a while back. I want something a little more modern and function.

After reading this thread I think I am going to go with the Kata 3N1-33 sling backpack. Looks plenty big enough to carry all my equipment, room to grow into it and I love that it has easy access to the camera. The notebook pocket is a big plus, too.

^Always buy bigger. It will motivate you to buy more gear to fill that pack ;)

Back