Looking for a new backpack

patric

Gawd
What brands/models do you guys prefer for backpack style camera bags. I've outgrown my current KATA 3N1-30 sling bag and need something bigger.

I need it to be able to hold a gripped body with a 70-200 f/2.8 attached to it as well as a 2nd body and 5-6 lenses (17-40, 24-70, 35, 50, 85, and 135mm) and a couple of speedlights as well as the other usual accessories, ND filters, extra batteries and memory cards, chargers, rainsleeves, etc.

I've been looking at the Ape Case ACPRO4000...but want to get other's opinions before I buy a new one...so what have you all used and what do you recommend to tote a ton of gear around in?

Because I'm doing mostly studio work and travel at this point, I've given up my backpack in favor of a hardcase.

I moved to the Pelican 1510. With Divider set that's the 1514. And you can get a lid organizer (1519) for it. Works well and its the maximum size allowed for carry on. It's a good companion to hold a good set of gear. However, it's not a backpack and if you need to carry it on terrain, you'll generally need another option (there is a backpack conversion for the hardcase by Ruc Pac, but at its cost, I don't think it's worth it). For full customizability there is also a TrekPak insert for it, which I plan on moving to. Vincent Laforet uses this combo. This setup of course is basically indestructible. As long as you pack well of course (having an indestructible bag that you let things roll around on the inside doesn't help anyone). But yeah, it's a good feeling to be able to stand on my case without issue. Throwing it around in cars or wherever definitely doesn't phase it.

In the case that it must be a backpack, I would recommend the Thinktank Airport Takeoff. It does roller, airline, lots of gear, and a backpack very well. Probably the standard for this kind of bag. But you'll end up paying a pretty penny for it.

A similar bag for a little less money (if you need to save some) is the Lowepro x200 and x300. Same bag, just different sizes. JoeyL uses an x200 and thinks it's fantastic.

Tenba also makes a similar bag series known as the Attaché. Vincent Laforet also uses these.

I hope these options help. It's hard to find a massive bag if you need to carry a lot that does it all.

Last edited:
I have a couple Pelican 1514's that I use for lighting equipment. But that's kind of why I want the backpack...so I can wear my camera gear on my back while lugging rolling cases of lighting gear around and maybe save myself a trip hauling gear on location shoots.

I looked a some Thinktank bags yesterday and was really impressed with the Airport Takeoff. I also checked out some of the Ape Case bags and didn't find anything that really fit my needs. The ACPro1900 is to thin for a gripped body and leaves a noticeable bump at the top of the bag...so any larger bodies won't be as well protected. The deeper bags, the 2000 and 4000 are both way too big for airlines to allow as carry ons. So Thinktank it is!

I stand by my ThinkTank Airport Accelerator. It is just slightly larger than the Takeoff, about the same price, but it is strictly a backpack. No rollers, no extended arm to drag it behind you like the rolling case... but you sacrifice that for more internal storage, which seems like you might need. You should have no problem fitting all your equipment in it (might be a tight fit, but you should be able to do 2 bodies, 1 with 70-200 + 5 additional lenses, and a couple strobes. That 6th lens might not make a cut).

I stand by my ThinkTank Airport Accelerator. It is just slightly larger than the Takeoff, about the same price, but it is strictly a backpack. No rollers, no extended arm to drag it behind you like the rolling case... but you sacrifice that for more internal storage, which seems like you might need. You should have no problem fitting all your equipment in it (might be a tight fit, but you should be able to do 2 bodies, 1 with 70-200 + 5 additional lenses, and a couple strobes. That 6th lens might not make a cut).

Both are good options. I think it comes down to whether or not you want the option to not have to carry it on your back or not all the time. I don't have the best back in the world anymore so if I can do things to make it easier, I do.

That's less of an issue with more moderate sized bags, but at this level it's the kitchen sink. Neither will fail from a quality perspective.

Back