Looking for a motherboard

therichard

n00b
I just bought the Thermaltake Level 10 GT Full Tower Gaming Case and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good motherboard I could pair with it. I have a prior pc building backrgorund but this is my first self built gaming PC so im a little out of my element here.

Amigo. First what else is going into this build? The case tells us nothing apart from size limitations.

-Intel i7 4770
and thats about it
I wanted to get a motherboard first and build off of it based on specifications.

do lots and lots of research. the problem with technology is that it moves way too fast for the average consumer to keep up with the latest and the greatest. I see that you want to build a gaming computer, but there is more to it. start off by choosing a type of MB (ex. ATX, mATX, mITX) then start reading reviews and specs. I spent months reading and looking for my components that are in my build. each and every one fills "MY" needs.

you need to know exactly what you plan to do with your computer. if it's for gaming then start thinking about if you plan to overclock or not. this will determine what CPU you want and the chipset. once you have the chipset, your choices will get narrower. now comes the fun part of choosing a manufacture. go by the look of the board, the features they offer, and the reviews you find. make a list of all the boards that fit your need from each manufacture then you will have to choose.

Perhaps look at the new Z97 based boards? They've been getting good reviews. I just bought an Asus Maximus VII Ranger, but it's only available in Europe at the moment I think.

Perhaps look at the new Z97 based boards? They've been getting good reviews. I just bought an Asus Maximus VII Ranger, but it's only available in Europe at the moment I think.

We need to know if he has the unlocked version of the i7-4770. if he doesn't have the unlocked version the new Z97 boards will be a waste of money and useless to him.

ASUS Maximus VI Formula.

I have one.

Easy Overclocker, everything just works. 4770K at 4.5 GHz with just a small bump in VCore, set multiplier, done.

Has pretty good sound onboard.

Everything you need and nothing you don't.

Just becuase you buy an Intel i7 processor doesn't mean you will be able to overclock it. An unlocked Intel CPU will have a "K" at the end of the model name ex. Intel i7-4770K if it doesn't have the "K" at the end that mean you can't overclock it simply. you pay more to have it unlocked so you can overclock the CPU.

edit: this will play a big part in what motherboard you will buy. For unlocked CPU's you mainly want to use a Z87 or Z97 Chipset Motherboard to take advantage of the overclocking abilities. if you have just a regular i7-4770 the H87 Chipset is most recommended for you.

Last edited:
Just becuase you buy an Intel i7 processor doesn't mean you will be able to overclock it. An unlocked Intel CPU will have a "K" at the end of the model name ex. Intel i7-4770K if it doesn't have the "K" at the end that mean you can't overclock it simply. you pay more to have it unlocked so you can overclock the CPU.

edit: this will play a big part in what motherboard you will buy. For unlocked CPU's you mainly want to use a Z87 or Z97 Chipset Motherboard to take advantage of the overclocking abilities. if you have just a regular i7-4770 the H87 Chipset is most recommended for you.

It has a K just forgot to put it:

and I think this is what my heart might be set on:

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8992461&CatId=8586

It has a K just forgot to put it:

and I think this is what my heart might be set on:

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8992461&CatId=8586

I wont try and change your heart, but do you have a budget in mind that you want for the whole build? Have you thought at all about other components? I started off with my dream build with all the top of the line components as I started to do more research I learned that not all the best things are worth the price tag. There can be products that are just as good or even better for less. Also keep in mind buying everything out right isn't the best idea also

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/metrea/saved/4xls
Here is a list of my build with all the pricing that I got for it. If I didn't take my time (9 Months research/build/buy time) to research or search for the best pricing my rig would have costed over $1500, but I was able to keep within my $1000 budget (before I added more storage). It's a good practice not only in computer building, but in real life to set and maintain a budget on everything. consider that before you go on a spending spree.

I have the HEro right now, it is an nice board, and the bios is easy if you know what everything means. I highly recommend it.

Back