Looking For A Miracast-Compatible Android Tablet

parityboy

Limp Gawd
OK, so I'm in the market for an Android tablet verified as Miracast-compatible (it's needed for business presentations). I have a Mircast dongle which works well with my Nexus 4, but tablet support is needed also. Requirements
  • Miracast-compatible (obviously)
  • Screen-size of 9.5" to 10.1"
  • Runs Lollipop or higher

Background
I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Wi-Fi. The last official update for it (KitKat) ran like cold sludge, so I updated it myself with CyanogenMod 12.1. I was under the impression that Miracast was something that simply needed Wi-Fi Direct and software support in Android, but it appears this is not the case - the device must support Miracast explicitly. Additionally, not all information sources are reliable - a friend of mine recently bought a Galaxy Tab E 9.6", and contrary to what is written on GSM Arena and Wi-Fi Alliance, the Tab E runs KitKat not Lollipop, and does not support Miracast at all.

So, if any one has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

How about a different dongle?
Reading some generic amazon reviews tells me not all miracast dongles are made the same. Haven't looked too deeply though

How about a different dongle?
Reading some generic amazon reviews tells me not all miracast dongles are made the same. Haven't looked too deeply though

Tried it with two different dongles (mine & my friend's) and the same result - HTC One, Google Nexus 4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (yeah, I know...) work with them flawlessly, but the Samsung Tab E doesn't. Go figure...

Not quite 10 inches. Maybe you can compromise a bit.

Asus zen just announced/released.
9.7in
"B" amount of memory ;) (typo)
miracast listed

No idea. You'll have to chance it.

They are pretty new to the android scene. Correction: just remembered theyve been making tablets since 2012 (Nexus 7). Still not sure about their update cycle. I recommend checking with the folks at xda on what they think.

Last edited:
Thank you for that, appreciated!! :D Historically, how good are Asus at software updates?
Non existent, tons of bloat with some removable and some not.

I had the original Transformer, don't waste your time if you want software support.

The way I see it, it's slim picking.

Not many advertise miracast and I think it's been abandoned for chromecast. And so far, unless requirements are reduced, I don't see any alternatives (if at all).

Most bloat can be disabled. Sure it'll take up space, but expandible storage is cheap.

Edit: if the motherboard and video card subforums are any indication, it is that asus hardware support is non existent when it comes to rma and exchanges.

Last edited:
The way I see it, it's slim picking.

Not many advertise miracast and I think it's been abandoned for chromecast..

You highlight a growing problem. There was a time when hardware manufacturers would give pretty detailed specs on what their hardware supported. These days it's the bare minimum, even on Samsung's site. The business community needs screen mirroring for presentations and on top of that, many phone and tablet vendors are walking away from MHL.

Also, does Chomecast have mirroring support? Last I heard, it was like a poor man's DLNA...

I never actually had one to play with, but if the Nexus Player is representative of the technology, it will not screen mirror.
Microsoft seems to be the only player that is pushing Business needs with their stuff (Continuum, etc)... but it's windows (lots of options) and you need Android.

Back