Looking for a Mini-ITX case

ellroy80

Gawd
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of downgrading my current desktop PC to something a lot more basic, but I'm having trouble finding a case. Basically, I want something as small as possible that will have reasonable ventilation, will allow me to use at least a half height video card should I want to add a basic discrete video card down the road, and perhaps also be VESA mountable.

Parts I have or am planning to use:

i5-2500k (Have in my current desktop. Planning to undervolt and possibly drop the multiplier to decrease the power usage)
Asrock Z77 ITX mobo
Noctua NH-L9i low profile cooler
8 gb Samsung low profile DDR3 RAM (on its way from Newegg, got it on special)
Samsung 830 256gb SSD (already have)
Pico 160W PSU and 192W power adaptor (want to make this thing as small as possible)
Video card, if I got it, would be the Sapphire low profile 7750.

Also want to make sure it's as quiet as possible.

Think that covers everything. Cases on my shortlist:

Travla C292 (http://www.travla.com.tw/product_d.php?dtype=3&id=0000000038#DETAIL). Good ventilation, but can't buy without the PSU. So that would add to the cost. For something I'm never going to use.

Wesena ITX7-2 (http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/HTPC-ITX7-Black-Mini-HTPC-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-ITX7-B.htm). Good looking case. Worried about ventilation though, and not VESA mountable. Could stick it under my monitor though, effectively using it as a stand. Would require some modding to put in the DIN socket for the pico PSU.

This Inwin Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108196). Fits all the bills, but already has a PSU, with what is probably a noisy fan. Front is also ugly.

M300 (http://www.mini-box.com/M300-Enclosure-w-Bootable-CF-Reader_2). Crap ventilation though, which pretty much rules it out.

My question is, am I missing anything else?? I've searched around for a while now, and these are the best I can come up with.

Thanks! :)

What about the Antec ISK300/310? Can't vesa mount those models and they come with psus but otherwise should fit everything you have. They have a Vesa version but it lacks the pci slot. :(

Yeah I looked at them. Don't need the DVD drive though. Might look into them again, but they don't really fit my bill of making it as small as possible. Ideally I would like to mount this behind my monitor. At the same time, I am also considering upgrading my monitor to a 27". Seems like a lot of these have stands that screw into the VESA mount, so I may have to look for something that's also going to look decent on my desk.

Also for the Wesena ITX-7, that same site sells B-stock versions for about $30 less. http://www.shop.perfecthometheater....ini-HTPC-aluminum-chassis-HTPC-ITX7-B-Def.htm Half the time I can't even spot what the issue is in the pictures.

Yeah I noticed that. The imperfections seem very very minor. Not a bad way to save a few dollars!

I am installing a AMD A6-5400 with a 1TB 2.5 HDD in a Wesena ITX-6. Here are what your going to run into issue wise

Your heatsink options are VERY limited. I used the Silverstone NT07 and had to notch out part of the 3.5 HDD in order for the fan to fit. You will probably have to do the same as the NT07 is about the same height as the Noctua NH-L9i.

Replace the stock case fan with a Noctua NF-8 fan and your fine

My build is idling at 37C with normal computer usage, uses about 42 watts and isnt too noisy. I am looking to replace the stock Silverstone fan with another Noctua.

I would suggest covering the entire top section if possible with noise dampening material like AcoustiPak stuff. I plan on doing that, however with the settings right the fans are not too bad about 2 feet away

Some pics:
81E69F54-4BCD-46C4-BFA0-679E5FE31A06-6625-00000A5EB950FE5F.jpg

idle.jpg

44351996-0331-47C8-B12D-9A9DD219FF3F-6203-000008C5B55A3E17.jpg

Also I would suggest NOT buying the Pico PSU they sell. I got one and it went bad on me in about 2 weeks. I purchased one from Frys and it works great.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, EndersShadow. It's not good that you had to notch out the 3.5" HDD holder! I am planning to buy a PicoPSU 160W from mini-box.com, I think they are well regarded here.

Thanks for the feedback, EndersShadow. It's not good that you had to notch out the 3.5" HDD holder! I am planning to buy a PicoPSU 160W from mini-box.com, I think they are well regarded here.

Eh, I found a 1 TB 2.5" HDD for 70 bucks and bought that. Its going to be quieter, faster, smaller and draw less power so its an overall win. I was only using a 3.5mm HDD because I already had one on hand so I was trying to save some cash on this build to start with. I had planned on putting a 2.5" one in anyway. The Pico PSU your talking about is indeed what I would get.

Notching it out is not a big deal, I left enough to install a suspended 2.5" HDD in the remaining space if I needed too.

I technically didnt need to notch out that much, but I did that much so I could install a standard 80mm fan as the Silverstone one is only about 15mm tall rather than the 25mm standard for 80mm fans.

Regarding your build, take your time and go slow when installing everything and you "should" be fine. Keep in mind when they say 40mm with everything installed, they really do mean it. So since my Silverstone NT07 was literally 1mm too tall, your looking at about 35mm of height on the cooler. Some of the Intel coolers are small enough to work.

Couple things to read:

http://techsupport.perfecthometheater.com/Components in conflict-Wes.htm

http://techsupport.perfecthometheater.com/Recommendations.htm

http://techsupport.perfecthometheater.com/Wesena-Tech-Sup.htm

Last edited:
I've got an extra itx-7 that I'm not using if you want it :)

They're awesome cases (I just swapped one of my htpcs to a m300 case, other one is still in an itx7).

And I highly recommend the gelid slim silence iplus for this case, allows you to mount a 3.5" hdd without issue!

I've got an extra itx-7 that I'm not using if you want it :)

They're awesome cases (I just swapped one of my htpcs to a m300 case, other one is still in an itx7).

And I highly recommend the gelid slim silence iplus for this case, allows you to mount a 3.5" hdd without issue!

The only issue I had personally with that cooler is that you are stuck with the fan that comes with it and I have read some of the fans crap out early, make a bunch of noise, ect.

But like you said it should fit with no issues.

In the OP's case he's using a SSD so its not a biggie...

Dont let my comments stop you thought, I do indeed really like the case, it looks quite nice and awesome and I dont regret getting it at all...

Thanks for the feedback. How strong are the 3.5" drive support bars? Would they be easy enough to bend up and out of the way? I don't intend on using them, so would just get them out of the way if possible.

Thanks for the feedback. How strong are the 3.5" drive support bars? Would they be easy enough to bend up and out of the way? I don't intend on using them, so would just get them out of the way if possible.

You can bend them, but it might require a wrench to do so, they are not exactly flimsy metal.

yeah, they're pretty significant... the whole case is quite bombproof.

yeah, they're pretty significant... the whole case is quite bombproof.

Yup, I would look hard at the Noctua NH-L9 heatsink for your Intel chip, provided its a 65 watt TDP. You will need to bend the HDD bracket, but I think the Noctua will be whisper quiet.

Also I keep harping on it, but the stock case fan is junk, replace it ASAP. It sounds like a Jet Engine at all times.

Given the space I'm strongly reconsidering the re-use of my i5-2500k - I'll probably sell it and get an i3-3225. I was going to wait for Haswell, but the improvements over IB on the desktop seem minimal. I don't really need a quad-core these days, so the step down to a dually should be fine, and will also significantly drop the power used.

I'll probably also get the Asrock H77 ITX mobo as well. If I get the i3 I don't need any overclocking options, I'm not going to need to use the mSATA port with the Samsung SSD, don't need the wireless option (and can buy a USB WiFi adaptor if required), and will buy the Sapphire 7750 if I decide to upgrade my monitor in the future and run at 2560x1600.

Yup, I would look hard at the Noctua NH-L9 heatsink for your Intel chip, provided its a 65 watt TDP. You will need to bend the HDD bracket, but I think the Noctua will be whisper quiet.

Also I keep harping on it, but the stock case fan is junk, replace it ASAP. It sounds like a Jet Engine at all times.

Most stock case fans are!! I think I have a couple of quiet Coolermasters laying around somewhere, and I can run them at 7V if need be. Otherwise I'll definitely look into getting Noctua's or Scythe's.

Are either of you running an intake fan where the opening is on the LHS of the case, toward the front? I realise there isn't a bracket present, but I was thinking one could be stuck down with double sided tape, or screwed directly to the top cover.

Most stock case fans are!! I think I have a couple of quiet Coolermasters laying around somewhere, and I can run them at 7V if need be. Otherwise I'll definitely look into getting Noctua's or Scythe's.

Are either of you running an intake fan where the opening is on the LHS of the case, toward the front? I realise there isn't a bracket present, but I was thinking one could be stuck down with double sided tape, or screwed directly to the top cover.

I have eyed that location but it won't work if you install a GPU in the case. Also my temps are so low at idle I don't think it gives you anything other than more noise.

I might see just for giggles but I think it would take a really thin fan which will narrows your choices considerably.

Machupo and EndersShadow, do either of you have a 3.5" drive in the drive caddy? If so, any idea of what the maximum HSF height is that could be used? Got my i3-3225 today, definitely can't use the stock cooler!

I do, max height is the height of a normal ram stick or thereabouts (~35mm). I use a gelid slim silence iplus for just that reason ;)

Machupo and EndersShadow, do either of you have a 3.5" drive in the drive caddy? If so, any idea of what the maximum HSF height is that could be used? Got my i3-3225 today, definitely can't use the stock cooler!

I do, max height is the height of a normal ram stick or thereabouts (~35mm). I use a gelid slim silence iplus for just that reason ;)

Yeah, your basically limited to that heatsink. I used the Silverstone NT07-AM2 and had to replace the 3.5" HDD with a 2.5" HDD and notch out the bracket to get it to fit. I think the Geild is the only one that allows you to still use the 3.5" slot.

I am fine with the 2.5" drive as its bigger in size, and much quieter than the 3.5" drive I was re-using.

I plan to try the Noctua NH-L9a heatsink shortly which still wont fit with the 3.5" bracket.

Here is a list of suggested coolers: http://techsupport.perfecthometheater.com/Recommendations.htm

Thanks EndersShadow, checked out that list of recommended coolers last night but found it difficult to find all their heights. Bit the bullet and bought a Gelid Slim Silence. Think that's everything I need for my build now!

How do you find the noise under full load?

Don't even hear it when it's doing HTPC duty / NES emulation, and there's no way you'd hear it over that sapphire video card if you got that beast ;)

LOL. For me the Noctua is where I am going (with some additional modding needed). This will be literally like 1 foot from me at my desk at work (using it to run XBMC for music) so I need silent when I am not using it since it will be on 24/7

I can always run it at 7V if need be ;). Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to run a 3.5" HDD, at least until I get my NAS setup ;)

I can always run it at 7V if need be ;). Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to run a 3.5" HDD, at least until I get my NAS setup ;)

I dont know about that one, the case may get decently hot given you wont have much room for airflow around the heatsink.

What mobo you using again?

**EDIT** READ ME PLEASE
I hope you havent bought that mobo already, if so you might have an issue with the Pico PSU's. See link here to explain what it is. I was limited to like 3 choices for motherboards due to where the PSU connector needed to be (opposite side of PCI slot).

Here is the list I had of motherboards that should work and my comments on them after reading lots of reviews.
JetWay JI61G-ITX LGA - cheapest, not sure about brand however
GIGABYTE GA-H61N-USB3 - Only 2 sata
BIOSTAR TH61 ITX - Flaky NIC, Wont boot with a 2 TB HDD either - Connectors: HDMI, VGA, DVI, Optical, 2 USB 3.0, 4 SATA 3 gig
ASRock B75M-ITX - Jetway was cheaper - Connectors: HDMI, DVI, VGA, Optical, eSATA, USB 3.0 2 3 gig, 1 6 gig - Misc: 4 pin CPU header, 4 pin fan header
ASRock H77M-ITX- Jetway was cheaper, Not sure I need this chipset. Offers unlocked CPU's which I dont use - Connectors: HDMI, DVI, VGA, 2 USB 3, 2 3 SATA 2 6 SATA, Optical - Misc: Supports RAID, 4 pin CPU header 4 pin fan header

Last edited:
I bought the Asrock H77M-ITX, given that I'm using the i3-3225 rather than the i5-2500k.

I'll definitely have to monitor the CPU temp if I decide to run the HSF at 7V. We'll see how things go.

I bought the Asrock H77M-ITX, given that I'm using the i3-3225 rather than the i5-2500k.

I'll definitely have to monitor the CPU temp if I decide to run the HSF at 7V. We'll see how things go.

I think you will be ok, especially since the case fan will blow air right over the NB which has a nice heatsink on it and directly into the cooler fins of the geild. But with that said I would play around with it using ASROCK's auto setup for the fans in the bios. Its what I am doing (thought I have a Noctua LNA on the Silverstone, and have the Noctua case fan able to run full out if needed.

In my case due to the way they put the memory, its actually between the case fan and the CPU cooler blocking lots of the air from directly hitting it, which is a scenario you dont have.

I think you will be ok, especially since the case fan will blow air right over the NB which has a nice heatsink on it and directly into the cooler fins of the geild.

I would definitely set it up the other way - use the case fan as an exhaust, and the open vent as an intake. Otherwise hot air will just build up in the case.

Bought a couple of these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999199, one to replace the standard case fan, one to see if I can use it as an intake on the left hand side of the case.

I would definitely set it up the other way - use the case fan as an exhaust, and the open vent as an intake. Otherwise hot air will just build up in the case.

Bought a couple of these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999199, one to replace the standard case fan, one to see if I can use it as an intake on the left hand side of the case.

If you want me to be honest, spend the cash, get a Noctua. Worth it.

Also I trust the company and all the other users of the case using the fan as an intake. The Hot air will get exhausted either out the open vent, or the back where its vented. Your welcome to test it both ways, but idling at 40C is good enough for me :smile:

Also the Enermax fan is more than likely too wide to fit in the second vent hole, especially since the LED and Power connectors are there:

695FC66D-00A3-4EF5-A100-0579AA0CC8CC-10981-00000F37109E56D9.jpg

D8BAE74C-78A1-44C1-980B-E9939D2E34EC-10981-00000F372253C27D.jpg

F9DA4843-B3BD-4C1B-9786-3A1F0CBA75AB-10981-00000F3727D3D080.jpg

The fan on the side is the stock fan which is 25mm wide, same as the one you just bought. Look at the spacing difference between the sides, as well as the LED and Power board and connectors

Looks like you might be correct - I'm not overly concerned about the power connector, but I don't think it'll clear the mobo. I'll try the fan as both an intake and exhaust and post my results. I suspect it'll be better as an exhaust.

Components have started to arrive, I can tell this is going to be a fun build, as I've only previously built ATX systems. This stuff is tiny in comparison!

Components have started to arrive, I can tell this is going to be a fun build, as I've only previously built ATX systems. This stuff is tiny in comparison!

Yup, ordering the Notcua NH-L9A heatsink to the modify to fit my ASRock mobo. Hopefully wont need to notch out any more of the HDD.

And its ridiculous how small things are, CD sized lol.

Anyone know if a 3.5" drive could fit if it was rotated 90deg and moved as far forward in the case as possible?

I am wondering if this will let me use both both the Noctua L9i and a 3.5" drive.

Anyone know if a 3.5" drive could fit if it was rotated 90deg and moved as far forward in the case as possible?

I am wondering if this will let me use both both the Noctua L9i and a 3.5" drive.

Depends. If you put the connectors on the side opposite the power you might be able to do it and still utilize a PCI Card and the vent hole on the other side but I am not sure. We have different setups as far as how the CPU is mounted on our boards.

With that said you might still have possible issues with the 24 pin connector and the HDD as well.

If you want me to be honest the only way to know is to put the motherboard in that case without any cooler and put the HDD where you think its going to go and see if you have the clearance.

That or order the Noctua and the Geild and see which works best. I have had my ITX6 case apart more times than I can count, and still have at least 3-4 more things I need to do to it that require me to take it apart again lol....

The Noctua fan doesnt go end to end on the heatsink so you wont need the vertical clearance all the way around so you might be able to sneak it in.....

Doubt it. A standard 3.5mm HDD is 102mm wide, and there's only 70-80mm from the front of the case to the motherboard (if my math is correct, I haven't measured). You can't put it on it's side (i.e. vertically), either.

If you want me to be honest the only way to know is to put the motherboard in that case without any cooler and put the HDD where you think its going to go and see if you have the clearance.

I hadn't thought of suspending it above the motherboard, it might work, especially if using low profile RAM. Like you said, there's only one way to find out.

Cooler arrived on Friday. CPU, RAM, and PSU are on the mobo. It should all be together next weekend!

Have either of you added noise dampening to this case? If so, does it make a difference at all?

What are you using?

I think its called AcoustiPak. Its a much bigger case (ATX Mid-Tower) so I needed a lot more than I would for this.

I plan on getting really thin noise dampening as I doubt its got 4mm of extra clearance all the way around (specifically near the drives) to give and still allow install.

Silverstone makes something for like 21 bucks that looks like it might work great, you can get it on newegg.

Back