• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a mini-ITX case for a low power server

JJ Johnson

Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
802
I'm looking at setting up a small server based around an Intel D510MO motherboard (dual-core Atom D510 processor, NM10 chipset, passively cooled). The OS will be Linux and it will be run headless. It will have a single storage drive, plus a boot drive. The boot drive will be either a 2.5" SATA or else will boot from USB flash. The storage drive will be a 5400 RPM 3.5" SATA drive. No internal optical drive is needed, and I'd prefer no internal PSU.

So I'm looking for a mini-ITX case that will hold both an internal 2.5" and 3.5" drive, no optical drive, no internal PSU. I'd prefer passive cooling, but could probably live with a single 70cm or larger case fan.
 
Thanks for the suggestion. Not exactly what I was thinking, but it might do the job. Cosmetically, it looks like it was designed more for HTPC use, where it would be seen in an equipment rack. This server will sit in my basement, out of sight, so no sense paying for a nice HTPC case.
 
Well an APEX MI-100 will would up to 4 3.5" with some thinkering, I have one with 2 2TB drives, a 120mm fan and an intel D945gclf2
 
if this is the motherboard you are talking about then google z-u130 its a small flash drive made to attack to one of the headers on that & some other intel boards.. I Havent gotten my board yet, but my 1gb z-u130 arrived today & its freeking small.. & Very ingenious for the aplication. But that would eliminate the need for the 2.5" & should make your search a little easier.
 
if this is the motherboard you are talking about then google z-u130 its a small flash drive made to attack to one of the headers on that & some other intel boards.

Thanks. Looks wicked expensive for a 4GB version. I think I could probably boot from a 16GB or 32GB USB stick if I want to eliminate the 2.5" boot drive. The system won't be a desktop, so performance and boot time are much less important. Does the Intel flash drive free up one of the onboard SATA ports?
 
Thanks. Looks wicked expensive for a 4GB version. I think I could probably boot from a 16GB or 32GB USB stick if I want to eliminate the 2.5" boot drive. The system won't be a desktop, so performance and boot time are much less important. Does the Intel flash drive free up one of the onboard SATA ports?

This kind of confuses me as it seems to be crossing install methods.. Normally if using a USB flash drive (same with CF card) you would be doing a Live or Persistent (frugal??) install. Basically the OS runs from ramdisk (on both) & then it will write changes back to the flash media on persistent. With either of these I Cant see as that you would need more then about 2gb as if you had a larger image then that it would be way too much ram usage.

Where a regular install the OS reads & Writes on a fairly regular basis to the drive. Flash media isn't ideal for this as it would be painfully slow & wear the flash media in a hurry since its not made for that type of activity.

The z-u130 on the other hand is not flash media like a USB Stick or CF card. Its an honest to god SSD, except in a very tiny form-factor & it connects via USB header. Or atleast thats what I am taking the limited info I can find about it to be. Basically its more of a SSD then a thumb drive.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/2007/20070312corp.htm


Edit: also I ahvent found a solid answer about weather or not a mini pcie hard drive will function on this or not. I Got a reply about OCZ saying those drives were made for netbooks, not desktops, But since this board is more netbook then desktop I am not taking there answer for shit.. That being said I found a 4gb SSD off ebay for 17 bucks shipped that I Got today That I intend to try 1st. Simply because I want to know the answer for sure. & that would be even more ideal. Now I just gotta wait for ups to deliver the board tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
i recommend this: http://www.pcicase.nl/details.asp?ID=662

the procase noah has an internal dc-dc psu, with an external ac-dc brick rated at 80 watts, easily enough for what you want. it has one dedicated drive bay which fits either a 2.5 or 3.5" drive, a second 2.5" drive can be fitted in place of the slimline optical

i use this myself as a simple server with an intel d201gly2 mobo, and one 7200rpm 3.5" drive (my dev webserver)
 
Back
Top