Looking for a low power PSU <400W.

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
I am building a little media server based on a E45M1-I DELUXE, and a 3Ware raid controller with 4 WD Black (7200rpm) drives. I cant find the exact power requirements for the motherboard but Im guessing 30-40W, and according to the spec paper each drive uses about 10W under load, not sure how much the 3ware controller uses either. Anyhow Im estimating I would be around 100W or so total for the whole system. I have LIAN LI PC-Q25B case which takes a full size ATX power supply.

So anyhow, I am looking for a reliable and efficient low power ATX Power supply. There are plenty in the 300W range, but I don't want to trust the rest of this equipment to some shoddy power supply. Hardocp has plenty of reviews but hardly any for low power applications. Anybody have any suggestions, or links to other websites that tests their power supplies at least as thoroughly as the [H]?

I think your best bet is to get a decent 300ish watt atx powersupply if that case takes full atx units.. I have a 80+ FSP mini-itx power supply in my file server that is in a little Shuttle mini cube case.. which has been fine for the year and a half i have been running it.. 220 watts but it ain't going to fit in that case (or easily anyways)

sooo I think if i was you I'd just accept that i had a somewhat larger than necessary power supply and get this
Seasonic SS-300ET
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151086

and call it a day... mostly cause i am personally unware of a decent atx sized power supply of lesser watts. and it has short cables (which could be a con but is probably a WIN with that Lian Li case)

maybe someone will show up with a better idea but this is what i would get right now based on what I can see of what's available.

Most quality power supplies start around 400 watts. A good and cheap power supply is the Corsair CX430 V2, which often goes on sale at Newegg for $15-20 after rebates.

Thank you both for the excellent suggestions. I think the Seasonic is a winner, not sure why I didnt see that one when I was searching. I'm going to need to paint it black before I stick it in though! haha

Thank you both for the excellent suggestions. I think the Seasonic is a winner, not sure why I didnt see that one when I was searching. I'm going to need to paint it black before I stick it in though! haha

Yeah.. it is actually sort of a bummer that seasonic is pretty plain looking but it may be the best lack of black case / sleeving not withstanding for your particular usage scenario. Obviously warranty voiding but I suppose you could paint it black / sleeve it if needed.

sooo you may have already noticed..but I feel I should point out just in case that particular seasonic unit is packaged as oem (so seems to ship in bubble wrap based on the user reviews and doesn't come with a power cord...so make sure you have a spare one if you do order that OEM seasonic it would appear.)

Back