• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a little low end...

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Feb 7, 2012
Messages
1,705
I have a laptop project I'm working on and going to be using a different set of speakers. The Mid/High will be using a Dell AS501 soundbar which sounds decent but lacks any real low.

The only thing I found that says good things about it is a Tang Band mini "subwoofer". I get you can only get so much from such a small speaker but looking to see what others may have done. Also, I noticed none of them are shielded.

I don't want to put the "subwoofer" outside of the enclosure I am building.
Dimensions: Front Height 1.5", Rear Height 3" x Width 17" x Length 12"

I know I will likely need an amp, however small, to get any real sound out of it, but is there any options I may be overlooking?

I don't have a set price range, but this is more of an attempted "budget project".


Tang Band mini "subwoofer"- http://www.amazon.com/Tang-Band-W3-1876S-Mini-Subwoofer/dp/B005GFPGHG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

Mini woofer (shielded). This is actually too large for my application but used as a reference.- http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-India-W5-KA538A-SH-Shielded-Woofer/dp/B002Y258FO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

Has anyone played around with mini "subs". The $5 one might be worth it as I am not losing much if it doesn't suit my application but the other ones are a little pricey to just get rid of. I would like to keep it around 3" for the actual woofer size and absolutely no bigger then 4".


Any help is appreciated.
Outlaw
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks. Lol, that mini sub would exceed the cost of the entire build so far (minus the laptop itself). Unfortunately I am not an audiphile as they are defined. I do like good sounding music but am realistic when it comes to compact systems. I have an orion eagle 2.1 with the mini 3" subwoofer... ehhhh lol.

The one I have selected doesn't have to be the exact one I go with but would be a good reference. It's dimensions would also be about the max I could use. Listed depth is 2.59". Any deeper and this will not fit at all.

I do have a 12v source although it is only 2.5A and currently powering a lower power WC pump and rad fan. It will likely be used to power the amp and a few other accessories. If needed I will have to look for a higher rated psu for the source.

Also, I did find this for an amp. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-308&utm_source=Bazaarvoiceps

There is a similar one on ebay for half the cost but the same brand, probably just an earlier model. i could use this to feed the soundbar as well as a subwoofer.

Thanks again,
Outlaw
 
I have that amp its... Something turning the subwoofer channel up more than a 1/8 turn is max volume.
 
Hm.. OK, I'll have to keep looking. Thanks for the heads up though.

Any other recommendations? I really only need to power the woofer as the soundbar has its own power and volume control.

Thanks,
Outlaw
 
Even that may be too large. I'll have to search around. Maybe a diy amp is what I'll have to do. Even some of the small auto amps are too large

Thanks for the search help.
 
I havent been lucky enough to find a small diy sub amp. If you find one post links.
 
I've come across a couple, but they were mostly just small portable for an MP3 player and ran off a 9v battery.
 
What would I have to change though. You can't just run 12v to a 9v component without frying it unless it accepts a range input.

Found some on parts-express. http://www.parts-express.com/wizard...CAT&srchCat=203&CFID=3247410&CFTOKEN=70931630

They all seem to have decent reviews too. When ordering, watch your power requirements. The few I checked ranged from 2.5v - 24v input. They range any where from 4W (2chx2w) up to 200w (2chx100w). There is also mono and class D which is pretty nice.

I'll have to see about getting a small project box to use as the enclosure.
 
What would I have to change though. You can't just run 12v to a 9v component without frying it unless it accepts a range input.

Found some on parts-express. http://www.parts-express.com/wizard...CAT&srchCat=203&CFID=3247410&CFTOKEN=70931630

They all seem to have decent reviews too. When ordering, watch your power requirements. The few I checked ranged from 2.5v - 24v input. They range any where from 4W (2chx2w) up to 200w (2chx100w). There is also mono and class D which is pretty nice.

I'll have to see about getting a small project box to use as the enclosure.

Yeah but most accept 12V. I can't believe I forgot that part of PE.
 
What would I have to change though. You can't just run 12v to a 9v component without frying it unless it accepts a range input.

Found some on parts-express. http://www.parts-express.com/wizard...CAT&srchCat=203&CFID=3247410&CFTOKEN=70931630

They all seem to have decent reviews too. When ordering, watch your power requirements. The few I checked ranged from 2.5v - 24v input. They range any where from 4W (2chx2w) up to 200w (2chx100w). There is also mono and class D which is pretty nice.

I'll have to see about getting a small project box to use as the enclosure.

Yeah but most accept 12V just beef up the mosfets. I can't believe I forgot that part of PE.
 
will attempt to. It's a whole build that has actually being done. I am part way through the WC laptop. lol And I do have somewhat of a log started on another forum. Laptops in general don't seem to be too big over here and didn't know if there was an interest.
 
will attempt to. It's a whole build that has actually being done. I am part way through the WC laptop. lol And I do have somewhat of a log started on another forum. Laptops in general don't seem to be too big over here and didn't know if there was an interest.

Sure, We love anything computer related. :D Watercooled laptop would be awesome.
 
It is awesome. So the enclosure you are building is a watercooling radiator/pump house.
 
Thanks. And I answered the question in the work log. Didn't want to get too off subject here in the Audio section.
 
Would be interested in seeing the audio portion of the build and your opinions on the results, sound quality wise. I realize it is a 3" woofer but I am curious non the less. Please keep us updated.
 
Will definitely do that. It may get put into the build log though. At the least, I'll throw a link in here when its built.

Outlaw
 
Back
Top