Looking for a keyboard

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Hello,

I am looking for a new keyboard. I would like the price to be around $50. I am looking for a traditional layout. Extras such as additional keys are not necessary. What brands/models would be recommended?

CMStorm Quickfire Rapid or Rosewill RK9000, either one on sale should go for $55~65-ish USD.

Other than that you'd have to go higher for most other mechs (unless you get something used offa ebay). I don't suggest rubberdome-anything above ~$30 USD though.

Thanks for the reply. The Coolermaster seems to be in that price range and it seemed like a decent keyboard (saw one at Frys). If anyone else has any suggestions let me know.

Ended up getting a Razer Blackwidow for $60 at Fry's as it was the cheapest one they had that was of decent quality. Overall keyboard is the same size as my old one, yet the keys are a bit more condensed. I am amazed at how such a small size difference can throw me off so much. :eek: I'm making 500% more typos. :p

So far the keys seem to be of good quality though a bit loud.

Gigabyte Osmium. Blue LED's, Cherry Reds and Volume/LED Brightness wheels. Last mech was a BWU. After tons of chattering key probs with the BWU, this KB is a dream. ;)

I'm thinking about getting a CMStorm Mechanical quickfire too. Very good deal. I do a lot of typing.

I'm thinking about getting a CMStorm Mechanical quickfire too. Very good deal. I do a lot of typing.

I've been using the following:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3080

I do like how the keys feel with the Blackwidow more, though I don't like the position of the keys (pushed slightly to the right). The keys are also a bit noisy. I can probably trade the Blackwidow for a CM Quickfire Pro if needed though.

Are there any other quality mechanical keyboards (or even non-mechanical) in the $60-80 price range? I'm not a fan of the extras, though a few macro keys to the top/side (like the Blackwidow) don't bother me much. I've been looking at Filco and some other high end brands, though those are out of my budget.

I really just wish they made a mechanical keyboard in a standard layout, without the macros, and with optional back lighting (with no need of software!) for $60-80. :p

Edit: After gaming, I can say the Blackwidow is a really awful keyboard. I didn't think it would make such a difference, but it does.

Last edited:
Gigabyte Osmium. Blue LED's, Cherry Reds and Volume/LED Brightness wheels. Last mech was a BWU. After tons of chattering key probs with the BWU, this KB is a dream. ;)

From what I've heard 4/5 end up having problems, it's a shame because they look kind of interesting. I'm not sure who manufactures the boards, but it's sad news that this is Gigabyte's debut into the mechanical keyboard market.

I do like how the keys feel with the Blackwidow more, though I don't like the position of the keys (pushed slightly to the right). The keys are also a bit noisy. I can probably trade the Blackwidow for a CM Quickfire Pro if needed though.

Are there any other quality mechanical keyboards (or even non-mechanical) in the $60-80 price range? I'm not a fan of the extras, though a few macro keys to the top/side (like the Blackwidow) don't bother me much. I've been looking at Filco and some other high end brands, though those are out of my budget.

I really just wish they made a mechanical keyboard in a standard layout, without the macros, and with optional back lighting (with no need of software!) for $60-80. :p

Edit: After gaming, I can say the Blackwidow is a really awful keyboard. I didn't think it would make such a difference, but it does.

Both the Blackwidow and the Quickfire Pro are manufactured by iOne and suffer from QC issues. You would probably be much happier with a Quickfire Rapid or Rosewil RK9000 in that price range (both manufactured by Costar and have excellent build quality).

edit: unfortunately you'll be hard pressed to find anything in that price range with your preferred options and backlighting (backlighting it's self normally adds something like $30+USD).

The Rosewill RK9000 looks nice. For lower "clicking noise" would the MX Browns be the preferred choice?

blue(soft)/green(medium) - tactile and clicky
brown(soft)/clear(medium) - tactile and non-clicky
red(soft)/black(medium) - linear (non-tactile) and non-clicky

Non-clicky doesn't mean silent though, you'll still get some <clack> from bottoming out w/o O-ring modding and even a little noise from letting up on the switch quickly, it's unavoidable with the switch design.

blue(soft)/green(medium) - tactile and clicky
brown(soft)/clear(medium) - tactile and non-clicky
red(soft)/black(medium) - linear (non-tactile) and non-clicky

Non-clicky doesn't mean silent though, you'll still get some <clack> from bottoming out w/o O-ring modding and even a little noise from letting up on the switch quickly, it's unavoidable with the switch design.

Who makes boards with green? Might be more like my model M.

I'm not sure anyone makes them in bulk for retail. Not really sure where you could really find one atm w/o going through some korean custom builder.

I don't think they'd really compare to Model Ms though, nothing really does. Unicomp still sells buckling spring boards though; you can also get lucky down at the second hand/thrift stores and find buckling springs, older ALPS and even some Cherry switches really cheap (you'll just get a few wierd looks pulling off keycaps to take a look, lol).

I'm not sure anyone makes them in bulk for retail. Not really sure where you could really find one atm w/o going through some korean custom builder.

I don't think they'd really compare to Model Ms though, nothing really does. Unicomp still sells buckling spring boards though; you can also get lucky down at the second hand/thrift stores and find buckling springs, older ALPS and even some Cherry switches really cheap (you'll just get a few wierd looks pulling off keycaps to take a look, lol).

Oh I have a Model M13 I use at work. I do not like the Unicomps at all. They seem like a lower quality M. Not the same thing. i also have a box of AT101's.

Still a stiffer blue would be nice.

Each Cherry MX switch type has three variants iirc (soft/medium/hard); the stiff ones are just really hard to find in bulk, aside from blacks.

If you have soldering experience you can mod the plate mounted switches though (plate mounted are most common). It mostly consists of opening the switch housing and swapping the springs. So you can make "ghetto greens" by swapping blues' springs with blacks'. They don't have quite the same tactility that true greens do (Green switcher have a larger hump along with stiffer spring), but are about as stiff.

edit: trying to remember my Cherry MX switches here -
linear - Red (s) / Black (m) / Dark Grey (h)
Tactile - Brown (s) / Clear (m) / Grey (h)
Tactile/Clicky - Blue (s) / Green (m)

Last edited:
Each Cherry MX switch type has three variants iirc (soft/medium/hard); the stiff ones are just really hard to find in bulk, aside from blacks.

If you have soldering experience you can mod the plate mounted switches though (plate mounted are most common). It mostly consists of opening the switch housing and swapping the springs. So you can make "ghetto greens" by swapping blues' springs with blacks'. They don't have quite the same tactility that true greens do (Green switcher have a larger hump along with stiffer spring), but are about as stiff.

edit: trying to remember my Cherry MX switches here -
linear - Red (s) / Black (m) / Dark Grey (h)
Tactile - Brown (s) / Clear (m) / Grey (h)
Tactile/Clicky - Blue (s) / Green (m)

I might just try that when I have a spare blue board.

where can one find this keyboard in the $50 price range? I only found it online in one place for roughly $120usd.

If you already have the keyboard in that link then I don't really see a need to upgrade. Mechanical keys with cherry switches is pretty much the best. Add to the fact it's pretty much no nonsense, no macro keys.

I've seen the Blackwidow and after having the G15 I can honestly Say I do not need or ever use the macro keys.

That's why I feel the quickfire pro is prob the best you can get for your money.

where can one find this keyboard in the $50 price range? I only found it online in one place for roughly $120usd.

You might be able to find one used on ebay or craig's list... but good luck with that. $50USD is minimum price range (on sale) that you'll find the CMStorm Quickfire Rapid or Rosewill RK9000, best cheap no-nonsense Cherry MX boards you can get atm.

If you already have the keyboard in that link then I don't really see a need to upgrade. Mechanical keys with cherry switches is pretty much the best. Add to the fact it's pretty much no nonsense, no macro keys.

I've seen the Blackwidow and after having the G15 I can honestly Say I do not need or ever use the macro keys.

That's why I feel the quickfire pro is prob the best you can get for your money.

The Quickfire Pro's not worth getting unless you want to play RMA bingo, because it's manufactured by iOne. The Rapid is manufactured by Costar and more than worth the low price.

You might be able to find one used on ebay or craig's list... but good luck with that. $50USD is minimum price range (on sale) that you'll find the CMStorm Quickfire Rapid or Rosewill RK9000, best cheap no-nonsense Cherry MX boards you can get atm.

That's why I asked I didn't think it could be found at that price anywhere aside from on the used market. I'm actually fine with old school Model M on the mech keyboard front. Although I would like to upgrade to something with some media buttons.

More and more companies are jumping on the mechanical keyboard bandwagon and most that are being released have a handful of features. With the introduction of those two boards I mentioned I'd expect to see more quality boards coming out with competitive prices.

The Quickfire Pro's not worth getting unless you want to play RMA bingo, because it's manufactured by iOne. The Rapid is manufactured by Costar and more than worth the low price.

That's a shame then. I really like the look of it.

I wouldn't mind the CMStorm Quickfire Rapid though it lacks the number pad keys which I do use frequently.

The Rosewill looks to be what I want. Standard layout, no macros ect. It is just a bit expensive. Considering the lack of macros, lights ect. I would have hoped it would have been $50-60.

I've been browsing through and have seen both regular and illuminated RK-9000 keyboards, but the illuminated seems to be USB-only. I like the PS/2 mode for the anti ghosting features.

Is the USB basically the only way to get power to the lights on an illuminated keyboard, or are there other mechanical illuminated keyboards out there that offer a PS/2 connector?

I am not too fond of the 9100 series. Considering the list price I would likely just pay the difference and pick up a Ducky Shine II etc. The 9000 series is well worthwhile but if you need LEDs then my suggestion is look at other options than rosewill. There are some nice usb to PS/2 adapters, but I have never tested them with keyboards requiring 2 usb ports.

I don't have the exact link, but if you just search for "cherry blue" on monoprice.com, you can get cherry blue mechanical keyboards (and maybe other varieties of switches) for about $50. I would take a mechanical keyboard over fancy lights, 8 usb headers, and 314 buttons any day.

Back