Looking for a great soundcard...

kinson

Gawd
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Messages
772
Looking for a really good sound card that supports up to 7.1, on a full home theater system, not a cheesy 50 dollar 5.1 set from walmart or anything of that matter... The best for the bucks... Best sound and so on, some great audio to go along with HD and whatnot... any ideas ?
 
I don't know any sound card that can do 7.1 through digital but for 5.1 through digital, check out the first thread in my X-Meridian thread, I've listed some sond cards there. For analogue connection I suggest the X-Meridian or X-Fi Elite pro.
 
Than go for TERRATEC! Terratec Aureon 7.1 Space. :)
With also optical in/out so you can link it to your Hifi system without quality loss.

If you want that with the XFi you pay a lot more and the buiding quality of the Terratec card is High-End.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/terratec-aureon71/index.html

Conclusion

The Terratec Aureon 7.1 Space card has proved to be a good performer when it's used for listening to music and when optical digital inputs/outputs are made benefit of.

Thanks to high-quality converters the card has good results in the measurements and listening tests. The support of the professional interface ASIO makes possible to use the card in a home studio. Besides, it supports the Sensaura algorithms so that you can use the card in games.

Highs
* quality converters of the Wolfson WM8770 codec;
* excellent sound in music; Better than Creative especially if you like the Stereo Sound.
* no distortions at 16 bits 44 kHz; Also better than Creative.
* Sensaura support;
* ASIO support.

Lows
* scanty settings in the control panel;
* no MIDI interface;
* 3D sound quality is inferior to the Creative Audigy2. So for movies XFi also I guess!

And EAX 5.0 (only for gaming) is patented by Creative than XFi is the only way to go.
 
It only supports 2-channel with optical, for 5.1 through optical get one of the cards in my X-Meridian thread, they are better for digital than the older X-Mystique/X-Plosion.
 
I heard of some card made by razr or whoever makes those mice, that is optical about $200, that is suppose to be 7.1... Ever heard of it?? and thanks for the link, I'll look into it...

I've yet to try this, but my mobo has spdif out... Think that would be fine ?? Looking for all my options here...
 
Razer card uses the same chip as other cards on my X-Meridian thread, the card is also listed in my X-Meridian thread but the price is higher than the X-Meridian and I doubt that it is better with those DVI-looking connector. Your onboard card doesn't support Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect so you will only get stereo from it, not 5.1/7.1.
 
I've read up on the xmeridian card, seems nice... Thats the best one you suggest for what I'm wanting ?? Gaming, HT, and audio, the site pretty much claims all of that, but I'm assuming you have one and have used it ??

any problems with it ?
 
I have it and use it(note the little review was written by me), So far I like it a lot without any problem but some said that they have problem with Unreal tournament 2004 and BF2142 when using the card(slow down in games, not sound problem). Another choice is the X-Fi Elite Pro but the price is too high for me and it can't deliver 5.1 through digital. So far I've read that people are really satisfied with the X-Meridian, check out the thread on Guru3D(the link in my post)
 
For your requirements, there is absolutely nothing that can beat the X-Fi. Well, maybe in price, but not in feature and functionality. The sound is almost unbeatable, and the drivers are rock solid, a welcome departure from their previous trash.

Look for some deals in the HotDeals forum. There are some going for about $87.00. Keep in mind the regular price is somewhere around $130.00.
 
Actually X-Fi is not the best for HT, it shines in games but for HT a lot more cards are better than the X-Fi.
 
Well, if you count the M-Audio Revo, yes. But for the price you are going to pay, why not get something that does it all, including games? This the X-Fi does.
 
That's why I've also recommended the Elite pro, but if he wants to take the digital route, the Elite Pro is definitely not the correct choice and the price of the card is also too high. Other X-Fi models(from Xtreme Music to the Fatal1ty) are basically the same in terms of sound quality, which is inferior to the X-Meridian according to a lot of people that have both the X-Fi and the X-Meridian. The X-Fi can give "realistic effects" and more fps in games but it doesn't mean that the X-Meridian will sound bad in games, in some games like Oblivion(maybe Crysis later) which EAX is not supported, the X-Meridian will sound better than the X-Fi. If gaming with EAX effects is the priority, the Xtreme Music will give a same sound quality as the Fatal1ty version, only the Elite Pro will give a better sound.
 
alg7_munif said:
The X-Fi can give "realistic effects" and more fps in games but it doesn't mean that the X-Meridian will sound bad in games, in some games like Oblivion(maybe Crysis later) which EAX is not supported, the X-Meridian will sound better than the X-Fi. If gaming with EAX effects is the priority, the Xtreme Music will give a same sound quality as the Fatal1ty version, only the Elite Pro will give a better sound.

How will the Meridian sound better than the X-Fi? Are the DACs better or equivalent? If they are in fact equivalent, I don't see how it'll sound better, because the X-Fi has some of the highest quality DACs in it, compared to all the previous generation of Creative cards. On top of that, ALL X-Fis sound the same; an Xtreme Music will sound the same as a Fatal1ty, EXCEPT the Elite Pro, which has higher quality DACs, and, therefore, sound the best of all them.
 
What you are looking for is not so clear cut. You will not get ANY card that will do more than 5.1 over standard coax or toslink (optical) digital outputs.

That said, If you want 7.1 through a receiver, the best way would be getting a receiver with 7.1 analog inputs. You would then have to use adapters to connect your 7.1 soundcard to the receiver. Probably not very easy, but it would work.

The thing that strikes me as odd is that there are almost no 7.1 sources that would originate on your computer, so why the emphasis on 7.1? If this will primarily be for HTPC purposes, sans gaming of course, I would recommend the Meridian.

ajm786, the DACs in the Elite Pro are definitely better than all of the other X-Fi cards. They are, in fact, different enough that some can hear a difference in sound quality.
 
PCMusicGuy said:
ajm786, the DACs in the Elite Pro are definitely better than all of the other X-Fi cards. They are, in fact, different enough that some can hear a difference in sound quality.

Thanks for pointing that out for me. However, that still does not stand true for the lesser cards, which will all sound the same.
 
If all X-Fi's sound the same other than the elite pro, what would be the advantage of picking one card over another?

This is my first card and I get more and more confused regarding what to purchase. EAX is great but not a huge deal for me. I listen to music and watch movies more than I game anyhow. My budget is under 100 for sure..thanks [H] :)
 
EAX is great but not a huge deal for me. I listen to music and watch movies more than I game anyhow. My budget is under 100 for sure

Then get a bluegears b-enspirer, it has the same soundchip, DAC and features of the X-Meridian but it's around $100.

X-Fi cards under that price don't have dedicated SPDIF out, and its main advantage is EAX and OpenAL support
 
the bluegears card is getting some nice reviews and looks to be a nice deal. im liking the fact it has the high quality oxygen chip in there.

im curious to know with the included TOSLINK Fiber Optic Digital Cable, what sort of things can you hook that up to?
 
ajm786 said:
How will the Meridian sound better than the X-Fi? Are the DACs better or equivalent? If they are in fact equivalent, I don't see how it'll sound better, because the X-Fi has some of the highest quality DACs in it, compared to all the previous generation of Creative cards. On top of that, ALL X-Fis sound the same; an Xtreme Music will sound the same as a Fatal1ty, EXCEPT the Elite Pro, which has higher quality DACs, and, therefore, sound the best of all them.

It has a better analogue output(DAC, OPAMPs and other components), a lot of people that has both X-Fi and X-Meridian said that the X-Meridian sounds better but they also said EAX effects are missing in games that support it but in games that don't support it, they said the X-Meridian is clearly better than their X-Fi, check out the Guru3D thread and newegg customer's review, the links are in the first post of my X-Meridian thread. I've also posted some info about other sound cards like the b-Enspirer, Razer Barracuda and Sondigo there.
 
Thats fine, I've done enough research to say the meridian will be nice enough as the price is not extreme, very feasible... If worse comes to worse on games that use EAX, I'll just disable the card and enable integrated... Normally what I do anyways as Int ports are easy to get to with a mic/headset... I am not STRESSING 7.1 btw... I was just asking... Whether or not I'll have to make a future purchase when I upgrade my audio system helps me decide what kind of card is necessary and so on...

I'm mainly focused on movies and audio for the card, games, INT will be fine unless I were to install another card for that, but thats a big hassle and I'd rather not have a conflict with all the different drivers..
 
Tell us later your opinion about it. You should know that the card is still new so the price is still high, just don't regret it when the price goes down later. Actually Newegg was selling it at $169.99 for a few days of the first week when it came out but it went back up to $189.99.
 
kinson said:
Looking for a really good sound card that supports up to 7.1, on a full home theater system, not a cheesy 50 dollar 5.1 set from walmart or anything of that matter... The best for the bucks... Best sound and so on, some great audio to go along with HD and whatnot... any ideas ?

I'm updating the Sound Card in my HTPC with a b-Enspirer because it is $109. I'm lucky enough right now to have multiple computers.

If my system is meant for or with Gamess in mind, I'm getting an X-Fi XGamer or X-Music=P
 
alg7_munif said:
Tell us later your opinion about it. You should know that the card is still new so the price is still high, just don't regret it when the price goes down later. Actually Newegg was selling it at $169.99 for a few days of the first week when it came out but it went back up to $189.99.

If it means anything to ya, two buds bought it after I showed them your thread, they bought it and are very happy:)
 
Well, I'm not 100% certain whether or not I'm going to get it... I'm mainly doing the research for a friend, and he's not certain whether or not he's going to build a computer... If he does, I will suggest this to him, as he wants a computer for gaming, and a well other things that pc's do ;)... and also for HD and so on, he'll probably just take the lame ass route and buy an xbox 360 instead... So... We shall see...

I personally can not play my music or movies loud enough to worry about 'great quality' :) So I rarely ever play anything loud, and if I require something loud, headphones come in handy, at least for now... But yes, if I acquire the card, I will be more then happy to leave a small review about it...
 
Donnie27 said:
If it means anything to ya, two buds bought it after I showed them your thread, they bought it and are very happy:)

Theres more proof for this card... I will make sure to show anyone I know looking for a good card for home audio, and not so much great gaming...

Just curious, what did you all say, for straight up GAMING, for good performance, with a headset, and possibly a 5.1 system, wal-mart cheesy gaming speakers or nice home audio... ??
 
Actually this card works great with my HD-595 headphone, after I got the card, I spend most of my time listening to musics with my headphone. Before this I used my headphones only late at night as my speaker also gave about the same sound quality as the headphone. This card really pushes my speaker to the limit, the headphones can give me a much better sound than my speaker with this card, maybe later I'll consider a proper HT system but for now I'm using the speaker for movies and games, headphones for musics.

Donnie27,

You don't need two computers to use two sound cards, I know some people use their X-Fi and X-Meridian together in their system. Maybe I'll consider buying a XtremeMusic for gaming as it is going to be replaced by a lower quality XtremeGamer soon. I really can't justify the higher priced X-Fi as for me a sound card is about sound and not performance. Edit: It looks like I'm contradicting myself here but it is not, I think that the XtremeMusic is the only higher quality X-Fi that has a low price, I think the cheaper XtremeAudio / XtremeGamer will not sound as good as the XtremeMusic.
 
I have 6.1 but actually I would not look any further than 5.1 anywayz.

Putting 5.1 through your optical out to a HIFI set.....You realy do that?

You can put some 5.1 set directly on your soundcard so why should you?

Only if you are realy into audio multimedia you do such things....and real audio is stereo anywayz. But 5.1 DTS is possible with optical out/toslink Terratec no bs. But better stereo to your precious hifi audioset. :rolleyes:
 
Youri your comment really just kinda confused me... Not because the message isnt good, but because of the way you expressed it... Mind restating it ?
 
alg7_munif said:
Actually this card works great with my HD-595 headphone, after I got the card, I spend most of my time listening to musics with my headphone. Before this I used my headphones only late at night as my speaker also gave about the same sound quality as the headphone. This card really pushes my speaker to the limit, the headphones can give me a much better sound than my speaker with this card, maybe later I'll consider a proper HT system but for now I'm using the speaker for movies and games, headphones for musics.

Donnie27,

You don't need two computers to use two sound cards, I know some people use their X-Fi and X-Meridian together in their system. Maybe I'll consider buying a XtremeMusic for gaming as it is going to be replaced by a lower quality XtremeGamer soon. I really can't justify the higher priced X-Fi as for me a sound card is about sound and not performance. Edit: It looks like I'm contradicting myself here but it is not, I think that the XtremeMusic is the only higher quality X-Fi that has a low price, I think the cheaper XtremeAudio / XtremeGamer will not sound as good as the XtremeMusic.

Please let me explain. My computer room is up stairs. Mine and my wife's computer plus a work space to repair and build other computers. My HTPC is downstairs in my Den. These 3 computer has a X-Fi in mine, Audigy 4 in hers and an Audigy 2ZS in the HTPC. I got my Xtreme Music when it first came out, there was no cut rate version. There's older rig in my daughter's room with a POS Audigy 1 (a gift). I'm an old guy with a 3 year old.

The only one of the X-Fi's I'd not touch is the Xtreme Audio, it is a RIP-OFF! Shame on Creative for sticking the X-FI name on this POS! It would have been respectable had they added better DACs and ADCs then left off other stuff to make it music oriented and affordable but noooooo, :mad:

If I were limited to one rig, it'd still have an X-Fi in it. Some sites have the Elite Pro for about $267 now. BTW, how much did your Op-Amps cost? A friend was interested. Please, don't let my defending gaming on an X-Fi as saying I thing X-Fi is the best for everything, clearly it NOT! But music playback and recording is not that bad.
 
HSE said:
Then get a bluegears b-enspirer, it has the same soundchip, DAC and features of the X-Meridian but it's around $100.

X-Fi cards under that price don't have dedicated SPDIF out, and its main advantage is EAX and OpenAL support

QFT.

Just got my bluegears b_ and its MUCH MUCH better then my old Audigy 2. Why Creative doesn't have optical out is beyond me. If the X-Fi would have had optical out, I might have gotten that, but I'm extremely happy with my bluegears (same as X-mer and razers card), regardless of price.
 
kinson said:
Youri your comment really just kinda confused me... Not because the message isnt good, but because of the way you expressed it... Mind restating it ?

Get one of the CMedia based Cards for your HTPC these are the best options for that use. The more money you pay, the better results you'll get. If my HTS receiver was a Denon or H/K, then I look at a higher end card. I'm just not going to worry about it with a Technics 940
 
Donnie27,

The OPAMPs cost me 20EUR with shipping, I think you can get it cheaper in the states, maybe for about $15.
 
nforce 2 sounstorm! optical out 5.1 on computer wasn't even known until that came around. of course you'll have to live in the athlon xp days again..........
 
alg7_munif said:
Donnie27,

The OPAMPs cost me 20EUR with shipping, I think you can get it cheaper in the states, maybe for about $15.

Thanks!
 
Back
Top