Looking for a good webcam.

This friday im goin out to buy a web cam for security and survailance purposes, the webcam i have right now is an old logitech quickcam, picture is pretty crappy, however the old software that comes bundled with it has a motion detector program with it, so basically what i would like to know is what are some of your opinions/sugestions on what i should look for in a webcam (mainly something with a good picture).

Edit: i forgot to say, my price range is 70$ dollars.

sugestions please.
thank you.

When I think "webcam" I generally do not think good. Especially in low light. :(

Then again, I don't have any recent webcams, and never really tested them...

If you want to do survailance, especially at night (and if it is important), you may want a higher class of camera...one with a fast lens (larger optics) and a larger sensor (better gain / quality). A webcam is usually neither of those things.

Definately above $70, and probably overkill for home survailance (probably a good entry for business survailance) would be a PC Adapter card & Camera from companies listed on this site: http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk

PC Adapter Card & Software - http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/digital_surveillance.htm
Low-Light Cameras - http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/cctv cameras.htm (Note: you need to also get another package for other stuff to use the camera... :confused: )

IMPORTANT NOTE ON THAT SITE:

I can't find any reseller ratings for that company, and I've never used them. I'm not exactly sure how I found their website either. Be warned & do research on them. Maybe just use their website to learn what products to look for at other places closer to home.

Cheers & good luck with whatever kind of camera you choose for your purposes. :)

well, i did a lil research on that company but i came p with nothing either, and i seriously doubt there is some one here who can vouch for them, but n e way, i see what you mean, but i am trying to just get something better than what i have right now, like i said this camara can support motion detection, but are there any webcams out there that perhaps have nightvision and motin detection, this camara will be placed outside my window facing my car directly
and all around m this camara i got has enough detal for what i want to do with it, im not trying to go HD quality survailance here, just something a bit clearer than what i have right now.

:p

Well, based on the budget you have, if you are willing to stick with the "webcam" style, your best bet will probably be Logitech Quickcam 4000. It will do a decent resolution for a webcam with face tracking on, and has RGB instead of the I420 that intel uses. It has a clear picture at 600x800, and will also provide the light filter. It isnt bad for 80 dollars.

I would recommend using something else for surveillance, but it works nice. I use it to monitor the internals of my house, and another as a video baby monitor.

Back