Looking for a good SATA controller.

llars

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
104
I am looking for a good SATA controller to run six Hard Drives in RAID-5. I have been looking at the Highpoint 2320, but the Xbit labs article indicats that it's RAID-5 performance is lacking. I am going to be using the array for storage, but I don't want something super slow.
 
For media storage type applications, which I assume this would fall under, you don't need more than maybe 10 MB/s. Not to mention that tweakers' review shows more than 300 MB/s write speeds, on its older brother the 1820. Not too shabby IMO.

 
What about 3ware Escalades? Are they worth the 2x price tag of the Highpoint controllers?
 
I would tend to say no, especially for media storage - it'll be as fast, without the CPU speed penalty, but you'd be better off spending the extra $300ish on a faster CPU and getting the Highpoint - you use the CPU all the time, and you only use the raid card when you're doing disk stuff. So having the faster CPU and software raid is (IMO) a better way to go.

 
Back
Top