Looking for a good (OC'able) mATX SocketA board

debaucher

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello everyone, as the title says, I am looking for a good overclocking mATX Socket A board.
I want to run my mobile 2400+ and be able to overclock the FSB up to (hopefully) 200+MHz from the stock 133MHz and have a PCI lock.
I could use my ATX MSI KT3Ultra-ARU board I have, but I want to save space and put it into a qpack or something along those lines.
I guess I could always mod a qpack like (cant remember the name) to fit a full ATX size board in it, but I was hoping to fit watercooling into it so I feel a full ATX and WC would be a bit too tight of a fit.

I checked out the mATX board sticky, but there are no SocketA listings (I know... old tech.. but this mobile has some life in her as a good linux box).

Anyways, if anyone knows of good overclocking SocketA mATX board, please let me know!

Thanks in advance

D.

Yeah sorry about not having a Socket A section but its just too phased out...

I've got the m7ncd ultra... its a rockin board :D better then my old nf7s imo

Thanks for the replies!
I was looking at that Biostar board.... but the only thing that makes me hesitant is that it doesn't have the mounting holes around the socket.
(I want to use my old Maze3 waterblock)

So, I was looking at this ASRock K7S41GX board which has the heatsink mounting holes, but it uses the SiS chipset.

So.. I am trying to figure out what to do.
I want to make a silent(quiet) SFF system that is running linux, has some power (so I can host some UT2004 etc..) and is easily portable.

I just wish there was a NForce2 chipste SFF board that had the heatsink mounting holes.

Please keep the suggestions coming!!

D.

These are two that I found that meet your criteria, but I am not sure where you buy them.

Shuttle MN31N
Aopen MCK7G

Wish I could help you out more.

I second that. I run a XP-M 2500+ on Biostar M7NCG 400 Ver 1.0. It has vcore adjustment from 1.3-2.0v. I could ran XP-M from 1.2 - 2.6ghz using Rmclock or CrystalCPUID. Actually, I am selling the mobo on ebay per my boss' order.

1337m0dd3r said:
I've got the m7ncd ultra... its a rockin board :D better then my old nf7s imo

I used the Shuttle MN31N for a while with a 3000+ Barton and it was great but you want to pass it up if you are going to use a mobile chip. It does not have multiplier controls and will boot up your mobile chip at a pretty much random mutiplier each time you boot unless you set it with a pin or socket mod. My vote goes to the Biostar board over the Shuttle for use with a mobile.

Ya, back then your choices were pretty limited with overclockable socket-A Matx boards, now the pickings are even slimmer. I had owned about 4 Shuttle MN31N's and a Biostar MCN7G, and the biostar was by far the better overclocker (more bios options, multi control etc). The biostar's capped out anywhere between 200~210-fsb typically and won't get that high unless you use a seperate agp video card, as opposed to IGP.

Using your ole Maze-3 almost isn't necessary because these boards can't attain really high FSB anyway. And any current Matx socket-A mobo's with mounting holes just won't reach the same FSB as the Biostar MCN7G...so there's a trade-off. ChiefValue seems to sell it cheapest when you factor in shipping costs.

Are you sure you wouldn't rather ebay your XP-mobile chip and pick up an integrated Nforce4 6100 igp + Sempron 2800+ ? Used XP-mobiles are still fetching an ok price on ebay, and your dishing out $60ish on a mobo anyway. Toss in another $20~$30 and you'd have a more modern and highly overclockable Sempron64 rig (around 2.4--2.7ghz speeds). If your old maze-3 isn't compatible with socket 754/939 then you could also ebay it for even more cash (an idea anyways). X-bitlabs has about 5 reviews on the sempron and when overclocked they fare well against the competition.

Shouting: I am selling a used Biostar MCN7G 400 ver 1.0 (the ver with all the overclocking goodie) on ebay now. Only 4 more hours to go. -- $20 + 8 ship so far.

Back