Looking for a good mobo for 2.4 Northwood

Out50Stang

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't think this chip has Hyperthreading. I'm looking for a better board for it. I'd like overclocking abilites, DDR Ram, and the highest FSB for this chip (which I think is 533mhz?) I will use this pc for gaming and school work. I have a decent video card which can run at 8X AGP, so thats a must to have. I'd also like Onboard LAN and audio, and since I will be using a card, I would prefer not to have onboard video.

I was looking at a MSI Neo Platnium but I noticed it will make this chip run at 400mhz FSB, which I don't want...Any suggestions?

I'd rather not get an Epox as I've heard things about the caps leaking. Although I've not had any problems with mine. Thanks guys, That Abit looks nice. Haven't decided which brand video card I want yet, so a non-nvidia chipset would be good.

PsychoZX, what core is your P4?

ABIT IC7-MAX3 > IC7-G MaxII > IC7 > AI7

If price matters then this is a more difficult choice. If not, MAX3.

I second the IC7-Max3...... if you go to www.cpudatabase.com, most of the guys with the highest overclocks are running either this board or the Asus equivalent. If you're planning on oc'ing at all, it's better to spend the little extra cash and get the best board b/c it does have a major impact on how high you can oc.

My favorite board is the MSI Neo2-PFS..... it's a sweet overclocker ( my 2.4C's running a 3.45 on 1.53V) but it has hardware issues. The onboard LAN is on the fritz and people have had other minor problems with it. So I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a NIC laying around. Plus, it's a 865PE chipset, and some of the newer chipsets tend to be better for oc'ing..... especially when you crank the FSB and the vcore and your mosfets are glowing b/c they're so hot :D

I was thinking about replacing my IC7 (chipset loop popped out, I think there may be permanent damage) with an Albatron PX865PE PRO II. What do you think. I really like that it has the Envy24 audio onbourd. Or maybe a DFI LanParty.

e_t

Someone stated that the Abit was a better board?? I have built many computers on Abit boards. However no one has had as many issues as the Abit 865/875 boards What has their been in the last 11 months? 14 or 15 bios revisions. Which by the way is a good thing, Abit has stuck with it trying to correct the mess they made. The Epox board has had no probs what so ever. Epox's AMM (Advanced Memory Mode) works with all dividers not just 1:1. Sandra scores I have seen from Abit users running 1:1 at very high fsb usually fall behind mine at 5:4. Clock for clock there are few that can keep up. That was my Epox using a bad mem Chip also. I have RMA'd it so soon I'll have another. Epox gives you something that Abit can't, extreme voltage to the mem. Well the AI7 offers great voltage,not as much as the Epox tho'. Would I just come out and tell someone to get my board. No!! But for anyone to come on and just say well this board is better is 9 times out of 10 because they have the board. not necessarily cuz it is better. The Epox is $108 at New Egg. What I would do if I were you is price the boards and get the one with all the features I want for the least amount of money ,cuz they are all GOOD!!

WZ

PS I have built 42 865/875 systems in the last year. 39 of them were ABIT. 1Asus p4p800 Not a fan of their bios set-up. 2 of them Epox 4PDA2+Ver.2. I will keep my Epox!!

i had an IC7-MAX3, had vdimm, VTT problems. if you can get those modded, then it is a great overclockers board.

EpoX 4PDA2+ is good 865PE board. 3.3vdimm, 1.85vcore, 2.2agpv, no stability problems whatsoever (from my experience).

Back