Looking for a good gaming laptop $1200 or less...

gr!m

Limp Gawd
Any suggestions. I am looking for a laptop to get my brother for $1200 or less. He is using it for school and gaming on the go. He plays command and conquer3, sims2, and games like that. Nothing too graphically intensive but I know he'd like a beefy card to run the games on good settings. Link me your suggestions. Much appreciated.

They look to be sold out right now, but I got this:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=341651&pfp=cat1
for under 1k

AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual core
gig of ram
onboard GeForce 6150
100gig hd.

I got it more for general use than gaming, but I have gamed a fair bit on it. I have played WoW, Age of Empires 3, WarCraft 3, and Generals on it. All of those run great.

The older Steam games also run flawlessly. I.e. CS and DoD. I haven't got around to trying any Source games on it yet, but I doubt they'd run that well, but I could be suprised.

I also LOVE the large screen and the fact it has a numpad. For the size it weighs almost nothing. The included Altec Lansing speakers and webcam are both nice for a laptop. The built in mic works great with vent (haven't tried using it for anything else) which was actually very shocking. Good buy overall. Not sure if anywhere else was carrying them.

I really think that Asus A8J series is one of the best features/cost laptop out there. Its a bit over the budget, but it has one of the best screens in a sub 15" laptop, solid midrange vid card, 120GB drive and all the bells and whistles you could ask for. Also the 2 year Asus warranty is reportedly very very good.

The only downside is the bland average battery life @ 2.5 hours.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an A8JS just because I want the Nvidia card.

Another option is a dell 1405 series. It can be configured similarly and is pretty nice.

I'll bet you could get a Dell notebook in that price range with as high as an Nvidia 7900GS if you take advantage of their frequent 25% off coupons.

You can always try and get a refurbished Dell XPS M1210 or a Inspiron e1505.

Alienware has a "refurbished" section, think it is hosted on ebay.com. I got mine for about $600 less than retail and the only thing used was the case(and even it looked brand new).

I'd just hunt E-bay. You can get something used prob that's a replacement desktop type for 1200ish that has a 7800 gtx or close to it. Look for a Sager or Clevo (btw they are the same computers as Alienware without the paint job and the extra $1k price hike)

I've owned a couple they're not big on batteries and they're a bit heavy, but they have top end display's and are just as capable as desktops for gaming.

Although if your hell bent on a warrenty or something then your choices a bit more limited.

Back