Looking for a good Backup software.

tmoran000

n00b
So like my title says I am looking for some backup software. Free or paid I just need it to do what I need. If it can work with unraid that would be awesome, If not I will run it in a VM but here is what I am looking to do.

I have 2 network folders that I need backed up. One is on a production machine with the folder shared to the network and the other is a Readyshare folder that is shared from a hard drive connected to the NAS port on my router. What I would like to do is back this data up and store it on my unraid server in case either of these locations become compromised. But With the back up I would like it to not overwrite the previous back up for an a period of time so that if there were changes made to a file that were in error or if something were deleted in error I can open a backup copy from say yesterday and restore what is wrong. or Restore a excel file that was incorrectly edited, saved and backed up.. This is why I don't want it to overwrite at least the last 2 - 3 back ups. Can anyone help with a solution to this.. I have looked into things like dropbox, syncthing and others but they simply sync, not backup. I seen craahplan but it looks like folks are getting away from that..

Thanks everyone who replies.

Look at SyncBackFree. I just took a look in the help file for the program and the basic operations cover group profiles, for one. I use it for simple manual backups. I create a folder, name it, and direct what I want copied into it.

"Thank you so much. I think that the pro version will work perfect because it offers 'Versioning - Keep Previous Backup Versions". This is exactly what I am looking for.

I use cobian backup to do daily incremental backups and bi-weekly full backups.
Full backup is about 450 gb.

So like my title says I am looking for some backup software. Free or paid I just need it to do what I need. If it can work with unraid that would be awesome, If not I will run it in a VM but here is what I am looking to do.

I have 2 network folders that I need backed up. One is on a production machine with the folder shared to the network and the other is a Readyshare folder that is shared from a hard drive connected to the NAS port on my router. What I would like to do is back this data up and store it on my unraid server in case either of these locations become compromised. But With the back up I would like it to not overwrite the previous back up for an a period of time so that if there were changes made to a file that were in error or if something were deleted in error I can open a backup copy from say yesterday and restore what is wrong. or Restore a excel file that was incorrectly edited, saved and backed up.. This is why I don't want it to overwrite at least the last 2 - 3 back ups. Can anyone help with a solution to this.. I have looked into things like dropbox, syncthing and others but they simply sync, not backup. I seen craahplan but it looks like folks are getting away from that..

Thanks everyone who replies.

A bit late to this thread.

I was pointed towards Macrium, years ago. I couldn't be happier. Great forum, great support, great free version, better paid version.

I -had- been using acronis. Then, I had a drive fail. That's when I found out my backups really didn't work.

Whatever product you end up going with, you don't KNOW it works until you use it to restore a drive. I cannot emphasize enough that you should rebuild a drive with your software before trusting it.
- Let's say your drive is "A".
- Use the backup system to copy it. Call that copy "B".
- Now, physically REMOVE "A" from your system.
- Install a blank, new, drive, "C".
- Use your restore software to copy "B" to "C".

Did it work? Good. Now you know it WILL work when you need it, AND you also have an archive copy ("A") sitting on a shelf.

If you don't go through the hassle of removing and rebuilding your data, you'll never know if your strategy/solution really works.

Good luck.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Veeam Agent for Windows

The only part I don't like is they install a localDB SQL instance but otherwise it is a very good product.

Back