Looking for a "Freeware" Shutdown Screensaver

inelegant

Weaksauce
Once upon a time there was a free download for a shutdown screensaver I used to have installed on my relatives computer for xp. Some company has went and taken down everything on the web it looks like and replaced it with a shareware that is a trial version.

I am looking for a free screen saver that shuts the computer down thats free with no expiration date on it.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, I read your post twice, in its entirety, and I still don't have a clue what you're looking for.

Instead of a screensaver that kicks in after a period of time of not using the computer, say 10 minutes, and the screensaver shuts the PC down, why not just set the power options on that computer so that it shuts itself down after 10 minutes? Or 20, or whatever the duration is that you're looking to work with?

You can set a duration for a screensaver to kick in, and stay on the screensaver for a duration of time, and then actually have the computer shut down automagically too? Like 10 minutes, the screensaver kicks in, and after 10 minutes of the screensaver working, if still no activity is happening, then the computer shuts itself off after 20.

Does this not make sense, or am I just missing something?

Honestly, I read your post twice, in its entirety, and I still don't have a clue what you're looking for.

Instead of a screensaver that kicks in after a period of time of not using the computer, say 10 minutes, and the screensaver shuts the PC down, why not just set the power options on that computer so that it shuts itself down after 10 minutes? Or 20, or whatever the duration is that you're looking to work with?

You can set a duration for a screensaver to kick in, and stay on the screensaver for a duration of time, and then actually have the computer shut down automagically too? Like 10 minutes, the screensaver kicks in, and after 10 minutes of the screensaver working, if still no activity is happening, then the computer shuts itself off after 20.

Does this not make sense, or am I just missing something?

I read it 3 or 4 times before coming to the same conclusion... why use a third party utility when it is a built in feature?!?

The power options put the computer to sleep or hybernate but not to my knowledge both fans on the psu or cpu turn off completely. This screensaver will shut it off so when they visit a single time a week this keeps it cool and clean and prevents a mess of problems from arising.

The problem is the shareware program says time expired on it and then sets the timer to 50 minutes before it shuts off which pisses me off.

create new text document.
add the following:
"shutdown -f"
rename file to "shutdown.scr"
place in system32 folder.
change screen saver to shutdown.scr

edit: this used to work, anyway. can't remember which version of Windows this did work in, though.

edit 2: found this on expertsexchange
Another option would be to schedule psshutdown.exe from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsShutdown.html
schtasks /create /RU SYSTEM /SC ONIDLE /I 30 /TN Shutdown /TR "C:pstools\psshutdown.exe -c -f "

You can also use the built in shutdown.exe in Windows XP, however I prefer Psshutdown because of the -c option which gives the user the option to cancel the shutdown.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP/Q_21905026.html

Last edited:
Roger that. The read me file idea wont run as a valid application.

The link to sysinternals is dead, the other links answer is blocked with a 30 days free registration...

Youre saying a scheduled task would activate after a certain amount of time the computer is inactive?
Thanks

Let's make this simple:

Do you want to shut the computer down after a duration of time where the machine is idle and no user intervention has occurred for said duration, yes or no?

If the answer is yes, adjust the power settings to shut the PC down after the specified duration of no user intervention has happened.

If you want a) a screensaver to come on after a given duration of time, and then b) shut the computer down after a given duration of time where only the screensaver is active, that's doable as well with the same power options.

If the answer is no, then I really don't have a clue what you're looking for or what you're trying to accomplish. :confused:²

Hibernate uses 3 gigs load in the previous state. The screensaver is only turning the machine off when you step away, why is this screensaver that was originally free so hard to come by?

As I said I just need a screensaver that will shut down the computer. A free one that is not shareware.

If anyone else has been using one I'd appreciate a reply.

(you can disable hibernation completely so it's a non-issue, or you can alter the settings so the PC shuts down and doesn't hibernate - a screensaver isn't required to accomplish any of this)

"And that's all I have to say about that..."

(you can disable hibernation completely so it's a non-issue, or you can alter the settings so the PC shuts down and doesn't hibernate - a screensaver isn't required to accomplish any of this)

Babbling on and on about how you work your magic with power options is no help!

Roger that. The read me file idea wont run as a valid application.

The link to sysinternals is dead, the other links answer is blocked with a 30 days free registration...

Youre saying a scheduled task would activate after a certain amount of time the computer is inactive?
Thanks

ahhh yeah, forgot about the link being dead since sysinternals.com is now part of Microsoft.

Link to PsShutdown: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897541

hmmmm... I don't see a power option to shut down the machine after X minutes idle time. Only turn off monitor, turn off hard disk, and system stand-by (hibernate is disabled).

Hibernate is how Windows 7 "shuts down" when it comes to the power management. If you manually require shutting down completely in the historical sense (zero power, only a cold boot when it is powered on), you shut it down using the proper sequence of Start - Shutdown.

If Hibernate isn't showing as an option either a) the drivers are mucked up and ACPI isn't 100% properly supported or b) it's been disabled and the hiber.fil doesn't exist in the root directory.

Back