Looking for a firewall

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm a complete noob regarding Windows firewall software. While I've had a firewall for years, I've always used a Linux box as a firewall. The Linux box protects the rest of my network & I just disable the firewall on machines behind it. Since up until now I've only had desktops (well, actually dual CPU workstations in tower/pedestal cases next to my desk...) I haven't had any need for anything else.
I've just gotten my first laptop- a Toshiba Tecra M7 tablet. I'd like to be able to configure the machine to not use a firewall on certain "safe" networks and enable it on any other network I haven't marked as "safe". Mostly this just applies to wireless networks, as I don't expect to be using a wired connection much away from home or work.
Does anyone know of a firewall product that can do something like this?

I travel a lot with my laptop..between home networks..clients networks..."unknown open" networks such as pub hot spots. The WinXPsp2 firewall is all I need. I'm only concerned about outside traffic trying to come in..and it can block that just fine.

I use Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall. When it detects a new network it asks if you want to treat it as "trusted" or not. Im not an expert but Ive used this one since it was called Tiny Personal Firewall and it seems to work well.

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

Here's another reccommendation for the standared windows sp2 firewall. It's really all you need for your purposes.

Back