Looking for a firewall

sliperypete

Limp Gawd
I want to put in a firewall on my home network. I have a linksys router with the built in firewall but I want something better. I want a firewall that can have VPN access as well as one that can restrict access to users on a user account basis. Anyone got any ideas ?

Which model Linksys?

"Per user" mean several peeps use the same PC? Or several diff users..each with their own PC?

This is the router I just bought to replace my original linksys 802.11b
Linksys Router

I would have four users each with their own PC.

I would prefer to use something linux/unix based to and I also have a server to run it all on just dont know what to use.

sliperypete said:
I also have ISA server if that would do the job I want and be just as secure...
ISA 2004 is one of the most secure firewall applications you can get. It's one of the only (if not the only) firewall products to never have a single vulnerability for it discovered.

MorfiusX said:
ISA 2004 is one of the most secure firewall applications you can get. It's one of the only (if not the only) firewall products to never have a single vulnerability for it discovered.

Are you serious ?! All the people I talk to say it sucks so I didnt even think about using it. Maybe it is not used enough to become vulnerable. Will this support my VPN and user logon's, I have not looked into it seeing as I never planed to use it ?

sliperypete said:
Are you serious ?! All the people I talk to say it sucks so I didnt even think about using it. Maybe it is not used enough to become vulnerable. Will this support my VPN and user logon's, I have not looked into it seeing as I never planed to use it ?
ISA 2000 sucked yes. This caused misconceptionsa about ISA 2004 to develop. ISA 2004 was a 100% rewrite of the code. Yes I am serious. Not used enough? That's not accurate in the least. While it doesn't hold the majority of the market share, it still is widely deployed. Yes it will support VPN. It will do PPTP (eck...) or L2TP/IPSec.

I don't want to sound like a f anboy, but there was a reason our company stopped using PIXs a couple years ago. Until the ASA line came out, Cisco didn't have anything that could compete at the application layer with ISA 2004.

Awesome.....thank you very much for your help. ISA 2004 it is, ISA 2005 is coming out soon correct ?

sliperypete said:
Awesome.....thank you very much for your help. ISA 2004 it is, ISA 2005 is coming out soon correct ?

Ahh...wasn't thinking you had ISA for your home LAN...yeah...it'll do what you ask. Integrates into AD...I used to do this when I was married..with my wifes kid, else he'd sneak online late at night away from him room. I had it shut him off from the internet at bedtime.

I didn't think ISA2000 sucked. 2K4 has all the hand holding wiiiiiizards..maybe that's why peeps like it more.

YeOldeStonecat said:
I didn't think ISA2000 sucked. 2K4 has all the hand holding wiiiiiizards..maybe that's why peeps like it more.
ISA 2000 had major security, compatibility, and stability problems. I've talked with one of the ISA 2004 developers. He shuddered at the thought of using ISA 2000 as an edge firewall.

2004 is a lot easier to manage yes, but it is vastly more secure, compatible, and stable.

MorfiusX said:
ISA 2000 had major security, compatibility, and stability problems. I've talked with one of the ISA 2004 developers. He shuddered at the thought of using ISA 2000 as an edge firewall.

2004 is a lot easier to manage yes, but it is vastly more secure, compatible, and stable.

By now..yeah..but back then...was fine, and like anything else you had to keep up with the patches, which some of us are used to doing. I never noticed stability problems with it in the handful that I setup and even ran from home.

MorfiusX said:

Correct me if im wrong, but i read somewhere that MS recommends NOT to use ISA on the edge but rather, use it internally.

killerasp said:
Correct me if im wrong, but i read somewhere that MS recommends NOT to use ISA on the edge but rather, use it internally.

Thats what I thought to, you would use it between an exchange server and an OWA server but they all said that it would be great for me to use on the edge.

killerasp said:

From MS ISA Server page:

"ISA Server 2006 is the integrated edge security gateway ..."

Now, there is a case to be made that it's preferrable to have a simple packet filter hardware device at the perimeter - but that's for performance reasons, you can filter a lot of 'junk' which only helps your ISA performance.

Here's a comparison of ISA to hardware devices (from an ISA advocates point of view):

http://www.isaserver.org/articles/2004tales.html

YeOldeStonecat said:
You using SBS2K3 Premium or something? Good old Action Pack goodness? :D

Im using Server2k3 Standard Edition...Yes I have the action pack it is great and I cant wait to get Vista with it. I also have two licenses of Server2k3 Enterprise.

Microsoft exclusively uses ISA 2004 for fire wall needs. Internal, external, and edge. If you have read that MS doesn't recommend using 2004 on the edge, then you have been mis-informed.

I definetly have been mis informed and I cant wait to get home and get my firewall going with ISA !!! I will be posting any problems I run into as I dont have a clue on how to use it.

Back