Looking for a DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless cable modem

mrwill

Limp Gawd
Anybody have a recommendation for a cable modem Docsis 3.0 router with wireless and with at least 4 ethernet connections?

I am so angry with my internet provider, Suddenlink. I discovered this today when I looked at my last 12 months of receipts. Apparently I was not paying the rental fee for the first 4 months. Then they started charging me $10 per month. This month the fee went to $12.00 per month. Sorry if I am venting, but this is deception at the very least.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the ISP modem that I currently have is an Arris DG950A

Motorola Surfboard Extreme SBG6782-AC is probably the best all arround device right now. It's DOCSIS 3.0 and Wireless AC capable so it should be pretty future proof for the next 3yr or so. In about 3yr most cable providers will start to update their networks to DOCSIS 3.1 and that standard is not backwards compatible due to differences in the FEC coding on the CMTS side and also the use of different sideband channel setup.

Highly recommend keeping the bridge and firewall functions separate. Get yourself a good DOCSIS device and a separate router/fw/ap device. I'd also say go a step further and pull out the wireless into a separate device but that's me.

Highly recommend keeping the bridge and firewall functions separate. Get yourself a good DOCSIS device and a separate router/fw/ap device. I'd also say go a step further and pull out the wireless into a separate device but that's me.

Yeah, this. Combo modem/router units are at best limited and are often garbage. Get a good separate DOCSIS 3 modem (e.g. Motorola 6121, 6141) and a router that fits your wired/wireless needs.

Yeah, this. Combo modem/router units are at best limited and are often garbage. Get a good separate DOCSIS 3 modem (e.g. Motorola 6121, 6141) and a router that fits your wired/wireless needs.

I recently returned my leased cable modem to TWC and bought my own to save $6/month. I bought a Netgear C3700 N600 cable modem/dual band N gigabit router. That was only $115 and worked really well most of the time. TWC kept screwing it up though, even though it is listed on their page as a supported cable modem. Apparently they kept writing the incorrect BIN file to it, so I returned it and got a Moto Surfboard 6141 cable modem ($80) and a Netgear R6250 ($130, I went up to AC because buying another N router felt stupid). I feel like I spent extra money and gained nothing, other than being forced to buy a Surfboard because TWC is incompetent.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the C3700 to anyone looking for a combination device. Only 2 gigabit ports on that router though.

Last edited:
I have the same setup now with Suddenlink and I was thinking about going with an SBG6782. What did you end up going with?

Anybody have a recommendation for a cable modem Docsis 3.0 router with wireless and with at least 4 ethernet connections?

I am so angry with my internet provider, Suddenlink.

As was recommended above, just get a cable modem and use a separate wireless router.

That way you can upgrade your wireless as needed without also replacing the cable modem every time.
I find that the wireless quality is often less than spectacular in those all in one boxes anyway.

I'm on Comcast and have been happy with my Zoom brand modem.
I use an old D-Link wireless router that I would like to replace, but it's working well and can't find a reason to.

Last edited:
Cable companies have a habit of messing up the combination devices. Unless you need the space, a separate modem and router is the way to go.

I only have experience with the ARRIS/Motorola products. Check with Suddenlink for what devices they would allow for your service. I would recommend buying the "fastest" modem you can afford that is allowed on your provider. SB6141 will be good for up to 300Mbps (unless you are on TWC) and the SB6183 is good for up to 600Mbps.

If you really want the combination device, and need the 4 ethernet ports, the SBG6580 is the standard device to get, but you are limited to 802.11n. The SBG6782-AC has 802.11ac, as the name implies. Both are 8 channel modems for up to 300Mbps downloads.

Back