• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a decent PSU under $40

scottmso

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
380
It seems as if my trusty 300W FSP power supply is not cutting it for my machine anymore - the multimeter says the PSU is delivering about 11.75-11.8V on the 12V rail, and similar results on the 5V rail. (doesn't surprise me too much) I have $40 to spend on a PSU and I don't know what to buy. Here are some of my considerations: (Some have SATA power, some don't - I don't need it now but they may be handy for the future)

Thermaltake: It seems like everyone on this board hates Thermaltake PSUs. I would like to know exactly why, because I was considering one of those 420W units (from Newegg for about $40), which I thought were somewhat decent. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153006 (has SATA)

FSP: An FSP PSU would be great, however their products are a little expensive for me right now.

Super Flower (TTGI?): IMO many of their PSUs are just ugly because of excessive shininess/colors/fans (they have a 4-fan PSU!) However they are very cheap and I have heard people that have good opinions of them. Because they are cheap, I question their quality. Are these good and long lasting PSUs? I was considering this 420W dual-fan one: http://www.directron.com/colortt420.html (no SATA)

Cooler Master: Cooler Master is a fairly reputable name. However, I'm not so sure about this PSU. It is 430W peak and 400W actual power output, and it is actually made by Hipro (it even says so on the label.) I have a 3-year-old Dell with a PSU OEM'd by Hipro that has been working very well for the time I've had it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171007 (has SATA)

Antec: I don't think I'll be able to afford Antec, and I've heard bad things about them too.

Vantec: Are these any good? 350W for $35 http://www.svc.com/van-350n-86.html (has SATA)

Enermax: I've heard Enermax is good, however I have also heard bad things about them. What do you think of this 350W for $36? http://www.directron.com/eg365ax.html (no SATA)

Tell me what you think about which one I should get, or if there are any others that I should buy that I didn't name. Any advice appreciated!
 
you have heard bad things about antecs? lol...like wut..

and BTW...those rails you mentioned are in-spec... and if ur not having any satbility problems..why bother

yah yah I know 10 bucks over budget...but it's worth it so grab one of these xclio's...


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189003

review is @ extremeoverclocking.com and it beats out one of the 470watt enermaxs...and second place from the antec 480watt truepower-2
 
If you don't like the Superflower fans get one of the 140mm ones.........I did :D

Now your results are in spec...........so............

Even then we don't know what you are powering to make a suggestion.
 
aZn_plyR said:
you have heard bad things about antecs? lol...like wut..

and BTW...those rails you mentioned are in-spec... and if ur not having any satbility problems..why bother

yah yah I know 10 bucks over budget...but it's worth it so grab one of these xclio's...


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189003

review is @ extremeoverclocking.com and it beats out one of the 470watt enermaxs...and second place from the antec 480watt truepower-2

Thanks for the reply! I am concerned about the rails because they are on the verge of being out of spec. If I add a little more hardware, it may go below spec and bad things may happen (I'm planning on adding a stick of 512MB RAM.) The +12V used to be about 12.1V before I had the 6600GT (I had a Geforce4 Ti card.)

That XClio sounds good. I may actually buy it. However, I'm a little concerned about using a PSU from a company that I've never heard of (well, sold by) especially because the name sounds like all of that "EXTREME GAMER" crap that companies like Raidmax, Aspire, etc put out. Many reviews of PSUs seem very good initially, but will the unit last? I read some other stuff and it seems to have a good reputation among others as well.
 
Spectre said:
If you don't like the Superflower fans get one of the 140mm ones.........I did :D

Now your results are in spec...........so............

Even then we don't know what you are powering to make a suggestion.

Yes, I have seen some of those 14cm Super Flowers.

And my system specs are in my sig.

Thanks! Any more suggestions?
 
scottmso said:
Thanks! Any more suggestions?

I guess I am not understanding something here. Your current PSU is a good quality unit, is functioning properly with in spec, and you aren't having system issues.....and you are replacing it because.........
 
Spectre said:
I guess I am not understanding something here. Your current PSU is a good quality unit, is functioning properly with in spec, and you aren't having system issues.....and you are replacing it because.........

I think that the PSU is on the verge of going out of spec if I add/swap out some hardware. The +12V line used to be about 12.1V but it is now 11.8. If I add more stuff, overclock, etc it might go too low. So I want to upgrade my PSU first before I upgrade any other hardware in my PC to make sure I don't run into a lot of trouble.
 
scottmso said:
I think that the PSU is on the verge of going out of spec if I add/swap out some hardware. The +12V line used to be about 12.1V but it is now 11.8. If I add more stuff, overclock, etc it might go too low. So I want to upgrade my PSU first before I upgrade any other hardware in my PC to make sure I don't run into a lot of trouble.

Ok...in that case save your money until you can make a big step up. Unless it is an emergency I usually don't recommend PSU's in this price range.
 
Your voltages are on actually withing spec, and for a 5V regulated Abit running an Athlon XP system... an FSP 300W is actually more than enough (so the whole "drum roll" please thing strikes me funny.).

Are you actually having PROBLEMS with the ol' FSP?
 
Spectre said:
Ok...in that case save your money until you can make a big step up. Unless it is an emergency I usually don't recommend PSU's in this price range.


I agree with Spectre 1000000% :)
 
Back
Top