Looking for a decent case with external HDD dock

Power5

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
453
I am looking for a mid tower full ATX case with external dock. I know the 690 had one and a few others. I have not really looked into cases in a couple years. Looking to build a new rig as my main gamer is a bit long in the tooth. My current setup will be turned into a media server as is so I need a new case.

I like the 500R but it seems to lack that external HDD dock. I have a desktop dock but every time I get it out to plug in, I have to get the power cord out of my way so I can still work, and plug in the esata which is in the back of my 900 as an add in card. Its not a deal breaker to not have an external HDD dock, but its one of the things I really want this time. That and filters. :)

I wish newegg had a search option for that feature in cases, but they do not. So besides the 690, what are some other good cases I should be looking at? Price is not too important to me since I see the case every time I use the computer.
 
A bit plain for my taste. Also, for that price tag I would definitely want an external dock. Thanks for the recommendation though.
 
The top panel of the 650D has an external SATA power and data connector. Plug a drive in and go.
 
So it does. Not sure how I missed that the first time I just checked it out. Price and Style don't put it at the top of my list though.
 
Antec DF series, and Thermal Take Overseer and Chaser cases are 2 that I know of. Crap missed the Thermaltake mid towers, they even have some with 2. Really if you want one with a Dock they are probably one of the first to look at.
 
Just got myself a Cougar Evolution. Smaller full-tower. Not a bad Case, and has a dock.
 
Personally, I don't want a dock on my case...since it limits my case selection and I am usually not happy how they integrate it in. Plus, that's just one more thing to go wrong...and I am then trying to get proprietary parts to fix it.

Instead, I have something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS


Works on any case...and moves between cases. :)
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I second that notion of getting a separate HDD dock. I have the BlackX just by itself and it's nice because if the dock ever fails it's not a big deal, I can get a new one. But if the dock fails on your case and it's important to you how would you even begin to fix that?
 
Back
Top