Looking for a Creative Idea

dextr3k

Gawd
So I own a coolermaster mystic, there is no side window to it. But there used to be an intake tunnel, you know, the plastic thing that tunnels cool air directly ontop of the cpu heatsink. However, it does not fit when I have my aftermarket heatsink on. I also dont want to put a fan in its place because it'll add to my system noise, and I'm getting good airflow and temps already. Putting a fan there and not turning it on was one of my ideas, but it seems...incomplete. and I'd have loose wires flopping around inside.

So my problem is, the round honeycomb design doesnt fit with the bottom square vents, and I've got 4 screw holes that are empty, and I hate empty screw holes. Does anyone have any clever ideas to mask/cover it or make it somehow sleeker?

Here is what I'm talking about.
dsc00070copyer8.jpg

I would say bondo it, then paint/powdercoat the whole case. That real latch dealie would make that difficult, though.

I'll mull it over some more....

Is that thing silver or black, hard to tell with reflections?

You could just get some countersunk screws to fill the holes.
Like these stainless steel 6-32's and some nylock nuts. 8-32's would likely fit too, I'm not heading up to the shop to find out right now. I'd guess 1/4 inch would be long enough, mebbe even 3/16". That's all I got for now.

Its brushed aluminium.

I thought about cutting, but it would be indented in and still wouldnt match with the bottom, I'd have to do it for both....

im not too sure what exactly you mean but an idea would be to keep the hunnycomb pattern there but cut out a solid triangle for each screw hole, then to match the bottom square, cut out solid patches in the corner of the squares. so it would look something like this...
you could probably cut a triangle around the screw holes and use them as stensiles for the square so everything matches up...

xquietstormx1-untitled.JPG

Hmmmm that might be a good idea to cut out both so both are the same shape. I might have to do some measuring and see how it'll turn out if I do do that. for now I'm leaning towards just putting the sunken screws and bolts in....

definitly.....less work = better. dont wanna risk cutting too much and screwin everything up..

goodluck either way

Hey there.

How about just tracing and drilling more holes to make hunycomb into square shape?

Something like this.

Hey there.

How about just tracing and drilling more holes to make hunycomb into square shape?

Thought about that, but while it is plausible and definitely cleaner, I dont think it will work out because the screw holes are sunken in, the indent into the case, so while it does match up with the honeycomb design, the holes directly around them will look out of place because they are so close together i'll end up drilling into the indents.

Well, how about cutting out both grills completely?

T'would make you achieve the goal and all you'd have to do would be to fit some kind of masking with matching air filter color.

Though if I'd went with drilling, I'd take those bigger holes as a feature instead, hehe. But thats just me, finding the good in the bad :p

I can edit the other side of hunycomb if you want, maybe that would convince you.

actually, that's not half bad I am pretty convinced I must say.... Looks like drilling is in the plan for tomorrow...

Tho I might still put in some sunken screws just to complete the look, is there such a thing as decorative screws?

actually, that's not half bad I am pretty convinced I must say.... Looks like drilling is in the plan for tomorrow...

Tho I might still put in some sunken screws just to complete the look, is there such a thing as decorative screws?

Not as far as I know, but you could just get some countersunk screws, cut off the threads, and epoxy/superglue the heads into the holes.

think of those holes as a light bright! now wire up some leds behind there to make some sort of symbol, like an S for smith!

I did think about lights, but ruled against them because the computer is literally right beside my pillow, if i had lights, it'd just project an eerie glow in my room.

Anyways, update, I was just about to drill, but then I found some fan screws and an old metal fan mesh. I closed the screw holes in the fan mesh a bit so that the screws will latch on instead of just go through. So that became the backing and the screws fit nicely with the brushed aluminum look. Here's what it looks like now.

dsc00071copyyz5.jpg

I would search through a few of the threads in the Worklogs forum, if I remember a couple people used JB Weld to fill in the mesh and then sanded it smooth for painting. I think Craigbru did this with his Project: Rogue case.

Cut a window in the side?
Cut out both grills and add a single mesh piece?
Cover with a shaped fan-grill?

Back